AB ControlLogix 5555 communication with Armor Block through Flat Media Cable

esandu

Guys,
It is about an AB ControlLogix 5555 processor communicating wth. a D-Net (Armor Block 1792D-8BVT8D) throgh a Flat Media Cable.

Some of the outputs on the armor block keep giving faults but still turning the loads ON and OFF. I replaced the block twice, made sure the addressing is correct and all the connections are OK.I've checked the loads and they are OK too.

Faults are on the output side and they come up even if NO LOAD is connected.

I plug in the inputs, then the D-Net cable and uip to this point it is OK.
When I plug in the Aux.Power cable some of the LED's on the output side turn red and flashing(usually 3 or 4 of them). I repeat, NO Load is still connected.

Network/Module LED Indicator is Flashing red.

I can see that with RSNetWorx, uploading the Armor Block immage.

At this time I have it running, with active faults but still turning the loads ON and OFF correctly.

Can anybody help me?

Last edited:
I was surprised by the red LEDs the first time I used MAXUM I/O blocks too.

The Installation Instruction pamphlets, which should have been in the box with the block, include the following sentence on the front page:

Diagnostic features are short circuit, open wire, and no load detection reported to the point level.

All the diagnostic features of the I/O block are enabled by default. If you have loads that don't sink enough leakage current to satisfy the "no load detection" feature, those outputs will be considered faulted. Outputs that are not connected to anything are considered "open wire" faults. A fault on any of the outputs will cause the Module Faults LED to flash red.

When you plug in the auxilary output power, that allows the protective features to work. Obviously, before you plug in the output loads, they are in an "open wire" state.

As you have seen, the diagnostic features of the I/O block are for information only and don't interfere with the operation of the Inputs or Outputs.

Because you have RSNetworx software, you can go online with the block and disable the protective features you don't want to use. That should get you a set of happy green lights on the block.

Last edited: