Alarm collection

I am currently working on quoting a system to collect alarm data from a variety of machines. I need to be able to collect discrete alarms from these exsisting machines. I am thinking of using some sort of remote IO to collect the alarms and send them either to the HMI (wonderware) or another PLC in the system (AB SLC 5/05s). The only catch is the customer has specified ethernet only. There are about a 18 machines total, and are located throughout the plant floor. It seems overly expensive to use something like compact logix, or a slc 5/05 as the remote; or using a ML with a net-eni. Are there any remote i/o, actually just I, there will be no outputs here, that are ethernet compatible and would be able to send thier data to wonderware or a SLC?
Oh, it doesnt need to be AB either.

Thanks

Matt

I am sure they have a technically sound reason for specifying Ethernet :D

If you want to cut costs, then consider AD in stead of AB. Their Ethernet modules are dirt-cheap, from 169 USD per module. Look HERE.
Then with an OPC server and any suitable SCADA or datalogging software you are set.

Is this an existing network, or a new one.

If you are networking all 18 machines for the first time Ethernet is definitely the way to go in my opinion. Its fast and the cost to install is not really that much more than DH+.

However if the existing PLCs are all 5/04s then use the DH+ network. Then once you have linked them up install your 5/05 or Controllogix to go to the Ethernet network.

Just a suggestion, I am sure there are other viable options.

The exsisting machines are a mix. There are SLC 5/02, 5/03, 5/04, 5/05, PLC-5/10, PLC-5/40, and some with no plc at all. There is no networking between the machines. We are also adding 11 machines to this mix, all rebuilt used equipment, with SLC 5/05s and PLC-5/10s and 40s. But since I am acutally programming these machines, they are all linked into the wonderware system. Also, since they are in the sytem, they are available as pass throughs if I need it. Ill check out the 2 links provided.

matt

To further confuse you, I can mention the option you have of adding an Ethernet "sidecar" to the PLC5 processors (1785-ENET).

Seems to me that you are in for a variety of solutions:
Add 1769-NET-ENIs to the SLC5/03s and SLC5/04s
Upgrade SLC5/02s to SLC5/03, and add a 1769-NET-ENI.
Add 1769-NET-ENIs or 1785-ENETs to the PLC5s.
And....

Seing that you have so much AB, i wouldnt add more confusion with yet another PLC type in the setup.

edit: Is the price fixed allready ?
If not, I would present your customer with two alternative prices:
1. All Ethernet.
2. An adaptation of DH485 and DH+ and Ethernet.
Then let him choose.

Last edited:
from the manual...

If you want to integrate ADAM-6000 I/O with HMI (Human Machine Interface) software in a SCADA
(Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) system, there are a lot of HMI software packages, which
support Modbus/TCP driver.
 Advantech Studio
 Wonderware InTouch
 Intellution Fix of i-Fix
 Any other software support Modbus/TCP protocol

It looks like there is a wonderware driver for it, so it should be fairly easy to intergrate it.

Ive got enough to quote with now at least. Thanks.

matt