PSA: Red Lion datalog, alarm and event date/time errors

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member

From the Red Lion website, after some customer enquiries in the last week or so...

Crimson Software Customer Notice

Rev. March 25, 2024 [18:30]

Devices running Crimson® 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 will display inaccurate timestamps on data, alarm, and event logs on and about March 22, 2024. Additionally, the device may cease to operate or automatically restart at the initial time of failure.

Operation can be restored by power-cycling the unit, and if a GMC message is displayed on an HMI, clearing the error via the touchscreen or keyboard.

Once the device is operable, communications should be restored, but incorrect dates will continue to be displayed. Viewing the data logs via the trend viewer may result in further restarts or failures.

Red Lion is urgently working on a fix. We will notify you when the update is available. In the meantime, if you need further assistance or information, please contact Red Lion support via the methods listed below.

Just thought it might help a few people...

It seems that v3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 have had a fix released. Still waiting on 2.0, which is what my client is using

Edit: I've just heard back from the distributor who tells me that 2.0 and 2.1 have also had fixes released, though their website doesn't reflect that yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that link, Dan. I was scratching my head a little until I realized you have to follow a link to the Crimson 3.1 or 3.0 page in order to see a similar notice about those versions.

Here you go. A previous thread from a while back.

I’ve run into an issue where after updating to Crimson 3.2 and downloading project, Ethernet comms require a power cycle to reestablish.

I’m in contact with Red Lion about this, and will be sending them my application in the morning.

If anyone else has had this problem, please reach out to Red Lion.

Not a big deal if you are on-site, sucks if your attempting to update remotely.

I've begun to add a button to a configuration page (somewhere off the beaten navigation path) to "Reboot HMI" and the action tab is set for On Release: CommitAndReset()

That allows remote soft restart of the HMI which can come in handy for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is a PLC comm loss.

A couple of years ago there was an additional option added to the Allen Bradley DF1 drivers that allows you to pick a tickbox to "Reconnect on Error." I have several HMIs in the field that I set up before that option was available, and as I discover them, I update them with that option checked and it seems to have helped with the few I have that were occasionally coming up after updates or network upsets with a comm loss to A/B PLCs.

I Dealt with this as i had datalogs sync to SQL come with this error, and it was critical reporting so i upgraded the device from 3.1 to 3.2 as soon as the 3.2 fix was released. was using a redlion DA30.