First Time Download to Compactlogix

Joel201

Good day,

I need some info regarding downloading a firmware to a New Compactlogix PLC
I am Using 1768-L43 PLC with a 1768-ENBT module. So my question is can i Configure an I.P. Address for the 1768-ENBT even if the PLC do not have the configurations? and also If it can be done will i be able to Flash the New PLC with a firmware? Thanks in advanced for your help(y)(y)

Regards,
Joel

AS couple of months ago I setup a compactlogix with the anticipation of working with it over the ehternet. What I found was that I had to first upgrade my support package with AB, then download the firmware onto the laptop, connect with the compactlogix with a usb cable, then install the firmware. After this I was able to set the IP address and begin programming the PLC through the network.

Oh darn uhmm.. you said you downloaded your firmware right? does the autoflash needs the firmwares downloaded from the internet or just the one when you install the rslogix 5000 thx again

As I remember, I had to download it from the internet becuse they want the latest version to accompany the PLC. But I suggest you look around for more answers. The other thing to consider and that may come up is the security permissions for the PLC that you may need to set through Factory Talk. I did not have the admin password for the Factory Talk and it was a major pain to get past it. I had to contact our vendor, who reviewed our tech talk support contract and then I got a email detailing a method to reset the password. Real pain. Better to start confirming that you have the password now!

Ok Thanks Man. I have just another question i have RSLOGIX 5000 Installer my question is can i request an activation to another AB supplier or it had to be from where we got the installer? thx

Generally when you install RSLogix 5000, it also gives you an option to install a firmware kit. Firmware kits are also available for any user with a TechConnect contract.

The RSLogix 5000 DVDs or downloaded installations aren't related to where you buy the activation. If you got the DVD from your uncle Lenny in Toledo, you can still buy a license from Westburne Electric in Burnaby.

You absolutely can configure an IP address in a 1756-ENBT or 1768-ENBT without any configuration, program, or runtime firmware in the ControlLogix or CompactLogix controller. The two are independent.

The 1768-L43 controller that Joel has is an older platform with only an RS-232 port. The standard method for installing firmware in that CPU is by configuring the Ethernet module, then using that Ethernet module to download firmware to the controller.

I do not recommend loading firmware over the RS-232 connection. It takes a very long time and increases the chance of data corruption or interruption of the process.

Ken Roach,

Thanks for your advice mr. Ken Roach:beerchug:
So i just use the BOOTP to configure an IP address right?

Regards,
Joel