Jerk Rate in SCRV in CLX

dingomex3

Hello guys!! I have an application in which one unrolled sheet steel goes through a process of tension levelling
and then rewound. I know the diameter of the mandrel and the thickness of the processed sheet and I have that calculate the current diameter which is unwound and is rolled by another side .
the intention is that the diameter does not change abruptly at the time of the sheet is being rolled. and used a SCRV instruction but
not exactly what values ​​of jerk and accel rate others use. How could know exactly what are the values that
I have to set in this instruction?

Dingomex3: If you can measure linear speed before rolling then you can control diameter growing with no problem. The tip is to keep linear speed as constant as possible, then diameter growing has no problem.
Look up for diameter calculation threads.

What are the units for the jerk? It has been about 14 years since I worked on a Rockwell motion controller.

Lets assume the jerk is in mm/sec^3 and the acceleration is in mm/sec^2. If you divided the acceleration parameter by the jerk parameter you will get the time it takes for the acceleration to go from 0 to the value of the acceleration parameter. Usually this time should be about 10ms. If you switch the equation around jerk=acceleration/jerk_time so if the acceleration rate is 1000mm/sec^2 and you want the acceleration to change from 0 to max in 0.01sec then the jerk would be 100000mm/sec^3.
The jerk_time or the time it takes the acceleration to go from 0 to max should be about 0.01seconds on faster systems and perhaps 0.1 seconds on bigger slower systems. This means the jerk parameter should be about 10 to 100 times bigger than the acceleration number assuming the units are consistent.

Ok friends, the difference is that in my application we use the value of the diameter of a roll of sheet steel being rolled. This diameter varies with time depending on the speed at which is being wound and put the value of the actual diameter in the "IN" this instruction (the value of the diameter that is growing), and the parameter "Accel Rate" put a constant value. This must be done to avoid a very sharp variation of the diameter.
What I want to know is what values ​​I put in the "Acces Rate" because we are not talking about motion control (because the input signal is SCRV the diameter measurement and not a velocity value) although they are talking changing the diameter of a coil of sheet steel.

I would contend you are probably using the wrong instruction. I think you really want to use either the LPF (low pass filter) instruction or the LDL2 (second order lead/lag) instruction. The LDL2 would probably be able to produce a response closer to, but not identical to, the SCRV instruction. However, the configuration entries will make alot more sense.

However, if you are convinced you want to use the SCRV instruction you can figure out what you want to set the constants to based on how fast you want the diameter to be able to change. Since you are putting a distance in as the input, the "Accel Rate" will really define the mm of output change per second and the "Jerk Rate" will define the mm/sec^2 of output change. Given what you are trying to do I would set Accel Rate, Decel Rate and Jerk Rate to the same value and set them to about 1.5-2 times the largest expected rate of diameter change you will see (change in diameter at max spindle speed and min diameter).

In fact you should be able to change the rates on the fly so you you could use a higher rate near core and a lower rate at full roll.

Keep in mind you are using the instruction in a manner it was not intended for so your results may vary.

Keith

Last edited: