Help with Programing ASCII

JGunter

Hello I would like to know if someone might help, i am trying to program a AB 1769 ASCII card using a Micro Logix 1500 LSP and a Panelview 600 HMI.

If anyone would I will upload my RSS program and the HMI program so they might tell me what I am doing wrong, and go into greater detail of what I have been asked to do.o_O

PLC & HMI Program

I am posting my program if anyone wants to help.

I want to be able to enter a part number on the HMI

Then send that part number to a Telesis Engraver to engrave the part number on our product.

The part number will contain 9 numbers and the dash
examble 321321-000

AB Micro Logix 1500 LSP
AB 1769 ASCII card
AB Panelview 600

View attachment NEW_GSW.zip
View attachment TEMP_GSW.zip

Last edited:
DISCLAIMER: I've never worked with one of these modules before ...

personally I'd try entering the setup information shown starting on page 62 of the following manual ...

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1769-um012_-en-p.pdf

it looks like AB expects you to use this module with a CompactLogix system – but it DOES say that a MicroLogix 1500 system will also work ...

when I opened the RSS file that you sent, the settings shown in the material above don't appear to be set in your program file ...

if this doesn't work, try telling the forum more about your problem ... are you having trouble:

(1) getting the data from the PV into the MicroLogix?
(2) getting the data from the MicroLogix out through the ASCII module?
(3) both of the above?
(4) or something else?

you'll have to break this operation down into bite-sized chunks in order to get it working ...

Thank you

I am having trouble getting the info in the card, On the PV when I press the button to send a change in data the info is going into the integer files. But not going to the card.

So the card is not sending the data to the Telesis Engraver.

I set the card setup according to the manual today and it still doesn't work.

The data is going to the ST file but the change from Old RX to New RX is not changing.

Also the trigger output for the card is not working.

Last edited:
I know this might be too simple, but when you add the card in "I/O Configuration" go to the "Adv Config" button at the bottom and the tab "Gen" for general. It allows you to enable and disable TX and RX for the ASCII channels.

Are these enabled? And are the settings in these tabs set correctly? Next I would check that the cable you are using between the ASCII card and the Engraver is correct. Is it straight through or null modem? You should be able to use a terminal program or something like CMD prompt to check that data is actually able to be sent.

Last edited:
Thank You Jeev

I have never programed anything ASCII, I set the card parameters according to AB setup recommendations for this card.

As never having programed one before I do not know what the correct settings would have to be, was hoping someone had this issue before and would be able to help.

I have used this card but not with micrologix. I used with a compact logix.
Attached is the routine I'm using to send a string out.
Please have a look to see if it helps you.

I will try to open your program and see if I can find something wrong.

AB has some sample code on the knowledge base. I used it to help with an application that was input only, but the KB article does have the output routine as well. I'm sorry, I don't have access to the article number today, I
might can find it late tomorrow. try searching the KB, if you don't have any success, let me know.

Thank you mj, I looked at the sample code. I can't figure out the output side I searched and found nothing yet. I checked my cabling to make sure that was not the issue, I use win7 so I used a program called CT worked really well can send data to the engraver.
I will keep looking if you find anything I thank you. Jerry

Thank you I used that program and it did not work, I have the telesis manual we have 2 more of these markers except we used compact logix on those. I put the same program in this unit per telesis instructions, I can talk to the marker using CT but I can not get the ascii card to send the data. I have never programed one or anything else ascii.

I do not know what else to try.