MSG overloading?

TheCaptain2000

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can sending/writing too many MSG commands from an 5/04 (say 1 every second) overload either the sending/writing processor memory OR the receiving 1761-NET-ENIW-D unit?

Can either of these cause a processor FAULT and shutdown the PLC?

Depends on how it's coded.

If you have 50 MSGs triggered every second at the same time...yes you could. But if you stagger them, you can reduce it.

Need more detail.

I only have a few message commands right now. Most of them are only triggered when a switch or eye changes states, which is not frequent. However, one message write command triggers about every second with the step of the machine updating machine speed with a message write command.

I would consider this to be a MUCH smaller load than Paully's5.0 example.

Last edited:
What you currently have does not sound like a problem. When you get to a point where multiple MSG instructions are trying to execute simultaneously at timed intervals then you might want to read up more about having them execute in groups of 3 to 7: grouping by destination address and using the feature called "cashe connections". You can do a lot of traffic control and diagnostics just using the .en, and .err bits on the MSG instruction. AB has some good info in the manuals and Knowledgebase about this. I have a few system I programmed that have 80-100 MSG instructions trying to continuously update 1000s of data points ASAP, it can get complicated.

Thank you for your advise HLeap. Fortunately, the current projects I am working on will probably never have to get that complicated. I was just unsure of the limits of my hardware and my software due to me trying something that I have never had to try before.