MSG Scope determined by hardware?

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have an 1769-L16ER that I use to test code and I just found that I can't create MSG tags at the local program scope - they have to be done at the controller scope.
I thought that was a firmware thing so I struggled a bit against it. Since my L71 and the L16ER are both v32 I guess it IS a hardware thing eh?

Interesting. There are so many things that are hardware restricted that I would not have guessed are, like assigning string literals does not work on L7x controllers but does on L8xE. I've not tried to do many crazy things on compactlogix like I have with controllogix, but I am also surprised by the message tags only working in controller tags and not program tags on the L16ER. Have you tried a newer firmware on it to see if this was a limitation of v32 on that hardware? I'm just wondering if they added support for it later on the L16ER (knowing Rockwell, it is doubtful, but never know).

EDIT: I no longer remember what firmware added support for message instructions in the program tags. Perhaps it has always been a L8xE thing. Now I am curious if the L7x allows it too.

I tend to think its a decision based on revenue rather than tech. i.e. if you want this feature then upgrade. There's no money in new firmware.