Real or Real32 in Controllogix?

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a device that is communicating RS232 data in "Real32".
Is that the same as a "Real" in Controllogix?
The reason is the Generic Ethernet Module supports "Real", but does not mention "Real32".

Yes, REAL32 is the same as a REAL in Logix. The reason that the device information specifies the bit count (which is what the "32" in REAL32 is) is because there is a mainstream 64-bit real out there. I think there is also a fairly widely used 128-bit real. So they are just being thorough.

Keith

If you have four SINT elements, each of which contains one byte of a 32-bit REAL, then the COP instruction is the usual way to get the data between the two datatypes.

When the SINTs are part of an actual Input data image, I always use CPS so that there is no chance of the data changing in between the COP fetching each element.

COP and CPS (Copy Synchronous) are byte-by-byte copies, rather than automatic conversion of datatypes like MOV or MUL.