FT decimal places when using globals or parameter files

sflemon

Let's say I have a FT global object that is an analog indicator. It has a simulation-enable button, simulation value entry, and normal PV indication when not in simulation.

I can lay down a ton of these globals and just define the changing part of the tag each time I lay down an instance: {[#1]#2#3} where #1 is my PLC name, #2 is a tag and #3 is that tag's suffix.

This is nice, but let's assume you can't just have ALL indicators showing 1 decimal place or 2 decimal places. You have instruments with 0, 1, 2, and 3 decimal places. And there are dozens of each.

I understand I can just have a global for each number of decimal places and pick the right one for the right instrument.

But, it would be nice to have a global object parameter value as you lay down instances where you define the decimal places.

Like for a text field you have: /*N:5 {[#1}#2#3} NOFILL DP:1*/

I tried replacing DP:1 with "#5", but it just treats it as text.

I can't figure out how to do this. It appears this is a shortfall of FT.

Anybody get around this?

Hi
I am not experienced in FT but as a work around you could add 3 or 4 displays and hide the ones you don't need based on a tag of the analog udt

Tag_DP=0/1/2/3

That is what is supposed to happen. It is a placeholder and will be replaced by what you tell it. It's not indirect addressing. One solution is to make HMI tags like 0, 1, 2, and have the values be 0, 1, 2. This will work, not sure it will save anytime though.

James

I thought I had discovered a workaround wherein I used the following in a global object Text object:

/*N:#3 {[PLC]#1.PV.EU_Min} NOFILL DP:#4*/

I then used the global object on a display, entered 4 for the Number of digits parameter (#3 above) and 1 for the decimal places (#4 above) and it worked when I tested the display. However, when I created the runtime application I received an error about not finding the parameters #3 and #4 in the parameter file, even though I am not using a parameter file.

Let's say I have a FT global object that is an analog indicator. It has a simulation-enable button, simulation value entry, and normal PV indication when not in simulation.

I can lay down a ton of these globals and just define the changing part of the tag each time I lay down an instance: {[#1]#2#3} where #1 is my PLC name, #2 is a tag and #3 is that tag's suffix.

This is nice, but let's assume you can't just have ALL indicators showing 1 decimal place or 2 decimal places. You have instruments with 0, 1, 2, and 3 decimal places. And there are dozens of each.

I understand I can just have a global for each number of decimal places and pick the right one for the right instrument.

But, it would be nice to have a global object parameter value as you lay down instances where you define the decimal places.

Like for a text field you have: /*N:5 {[#1}#2#3} NOFILL DP:1*/

I can't figure out how to do this. It appears this is a shortfall of FT.

Anybody get around this?

Check out the PlantPAX Analog In Popups, I believe they convert to string in the PLC, and then control the decimal points there?

I maybe wrong, often is the case.

Yes, I had in the back of my mind converting the value to a string in the PLC but that seems like an extra step I do not want to be forced to take.

I've attached a document summarizing the issue. My confusion is why it works when performing a Test Display but not with the runtime application.

either you are not calling the file when the screen opens or the file your using does not contain the parameter # 3 or 4. if that is a test .mer and you're using the startup screen you must select the parameter to use at startup in the start folder. If it's not the main start screen then you must select the file with the GOTO button.