Ethernet/IP I/O non AB

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
We are looking at some test units and the customer want to try out some EIP I/O. I have AB (point, and flex) and Wago 750. So what else do you guys recommend? I was thinking Beckhoff.

Nathan, exactly which model of SMC valve bank did you use, and how did the EDS file figure into how it worked on EtherNet/IP with RSLogix 5000 ?

I've used SMC valve banks successfully (the EX250-SEN1 and EX600-SEN1 models) but they were always Generic Module objects in the I/O tree. I spent a couple of days trying to get the EDS-based Module Profile to work in RSLogix 5000 v20 with the EDS files they provided but had no success.

We are using Turck BL67 I/O modules with their Ethernet Gateway. The configuration tool is based on PACTWare and is a little intimidating but not too bad once you get used to it.

I haven't configured Beckhoff or Turck I/O, but did some experimenting with Opto-22.

Every manufacturer is going to have their own tool or utility for configuring the I/O adapter. Don't let the customer focus on the hardware pricing and omit the complexity of creating, documenting, backing up, and maintaining those configuration files in addition to your ControlLogix program.

Nathan, exactly which model of SMC valve bank did you use, and how did the EDS file figure into how it worked on EtherNet/IP with RSLogix 5000 ?

I've used SMC valve banks successfully (the EX250-SEN1 and EX600-SEN1 models) but they were always Generic Module objects in the I/O tree. I spent a couple of days trying to get the EDS-based Module Profile to work in RSLogix 5000 v20 with the EDS files they provided but had no success.

We are using Turck BL67 I/O modules with their Ethernet Gateway. The configuration tool is based on PACTWare and is a little intimidating but not too bad once you get used to it.

I haven't configured Beckhoff or Turck I/O, but did some experimenting with Opto-22.

Every manufacturer is going to have their own tool or utility for configuring the I/O adapter. Don't let the customer focus on the hardware pricing and omit the complexity of creating, documenting, backing up, and maintaining those configuration files in addition to your ControlLogix program.

My use of the SMC valve bank with the SEN module attached and the EDS was a slam dunk. I am using RSLogix 5000 v20 and ControlLogix. I am working on the job now. When I get to the job site tomorrow, I will post info, including the revision of the EDS. I am pretty sure it is a VQ4000 SMC valve bank.

I am also getting an ABB VFD with Ethernet IP module next week to put on a Compactlogix job.

Last edited:
KEN...

Here is info on EDS for SMC.

My valve bank is VQC4000.
EX260-SEN1 is Ethernet/IP module (PNP)

Attached:
Pic of cfg in RSLogix
Current EDS for EX260
Text file for version info

Thee is also a PDF but I am at upload limit for it.
Name: EXxx-OMP0013-B.pdf

Le me know if you need any more info...

SMC_EX260_EDS_cfg.jpg

Attachments

• ex260_sen1_24_v21.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 19
  • EX260_Instructions_EXxx-TDQ0009.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 36
Thanks Nathan!

I wasn't able to find the EDS file on the SMC web site.
The one you attached to your message helped (many years after your original post!).

Nick

We've used several Acromag Bussworks 900EN series. Mostly for analog I/O, but they have digital (24vdc only) as well.

If you dig deep enough there is info on building your own EDS and even AOP files for a device that does not have one.

If you dig deep enough there is info on building your own EDS and even AOP files for a device that does not have one.

Where might one dig for this buried treasure? 👨🏻‍🏫 <-- I was hoping for a pirate emoji but no luck, so this one will have to do

Last edited:
We are looking at some test units and the customer want to try out some EIP I/O. I have AB (point, and flex) and Wago 750. So what else do you guys recommend? I was thinking Beckhoff.

I used BECKOFF E I/P I/O a few years ago, without issues.
Of course, you need BECKOFF's software, and a little USB cable that plugs into the remote I/O head; which may be viewed as a negative with the "all I need is an Ethernet cable" crowd.
:)