Ge Fanuc connection help

jannerlad

Hi Guys,

I have been working with a Ge Fanuc CPU374 PLC but have not been able to get connected to it. I have a 10 solt base plate with 6 I/O modules.
I have a laptop running both logicmaster and machine edition but I am unable to get any of them connected?
I am using an SNP cable (The one with the TX, RX green LEDS) from a serial port to the PLC.
Once I get either of the software up and running I make sure that the port is set up correctly and also in device manager but still as soon as I selected "Online" i get "No Communications" instantly.
I have been reading through lots of the post on here and every time I find something I haven't done I try it but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is this a real serial port or are you using a USB to serial converter? When you try to go online can you see if the light for transmit blinks?

Hi, its a real serial port on the laptop and when I try to go online the TX LED and the PS Port intermittantly flash but thats all I get, they flash in sinc every now and again is probably the best way to put it.

Just some more information, the reason I want to get connected is that my PLC has gained a fault and is now stopped (No run LED) and I also have a flashing OK LED, do you think this has something to do with why I am unable to get communications?

It sounds like it may be the controller. Do you know the IP address of the PLC? Can you ping it? The controller may need to be flashed.

The "OK" LED on the Power supply will flash for a few seconds after power up while a Power On Self Test is in operation, then go ON solid if the POST passes or go OFF if there is a problem.
I suggest that there is an issue with the system if the PWR LED is on solid and the OK LED is flashing continuously.
If both the PWR and the OK LED flash synchronously, it is an indication that the CPU is waiting for its Firmware to be loaded.

Thanks for the help RussB I think your right with regards to the system having an issue due to the OK LED flashing. I will look into it a bit more.