1734-OE2V/C Problems

Scooby1

All,

I have a 1756-L72 processor talking with a 1734-AENTR/B card. In the chassis of the 1734-AENTR/B card are a 1734-IE2V/C card in slot 1, a 1734-OE2V card in slot 2 and a 1734-OV4E card in slot 3.

All of the modules are seen by the processor in the I/O tree (No yellow triangles), but the problem I am having, is that the 1734-OE2V card is not working correctly. The Module Status lights are both green, but both of the Channel Status lights are solid red. Looking at the manual, it says the thing that causes these to be solid red is 'No Field Power Present'. This module is replacing a Beckhoff KL4002 module and should be wired the same. I'm not sure what 'No Field Power Present' means. I am sending a value of 4544 to that output channel, and I have the channel set up as 0 to 32767, but I am not sure what this 'No Field Power Present' means.

Thanks!

I'm not sure I would assume that the Beckhoff and A-B modules would be wired the same.

POINT I/O modules get their field power from the FP+ and FP- bus connection. You can see those two bus connectors at the bottom of the slide-together terminal bases.

The 1734-AENTR module routes its own power connection directly the FP+ and FP- so it should not be possible to get an actual "No Field Power" state unless you have a 1734-FPD or 1734-EP24DC module in between the adapter and the analog module to break the FP bus.

Do the Module-generated tags in the ControlLogix tag database tell you anything about the channel status of that module ?

Thanks for the reply Ken,

currently the Ch0Status in the tag configuration is 2#0000_0001, Ch0Fault is a 1, Ch0Calibration is 0, Ch0LAlarm is a 0, and CH0HAlarm is a 0. These are the only tags that I know of to see the status of that channel in my Logix project.

One of the Rockwell tech support people had told me that the 1734-AENTR should be supplying the field power. That is why I am very confused as to why I am getting the solid red light on the output channel.

For more information, this card is meant to send a signal (0-10V) to a 1746-NIO4V card, channel 0 on that card.

You can directly check the presence of field power on the C and V terminals (the lower two) on the terminal block connected to the 1734-OE2V module itself. Those are physically connected to the blades underneath them, which are in turn physically connected to the FP+ and FP- terminals.

I suppose you could also disassemble the POINT bases and add them one at a time, verifying that 24V DC is present on the bus terminals (visible on the far right side) as you go.

I've seen a very small number of damaged terminals where the sliders were broken off, but those had spent a lot of time bouncing around demo boxes.

Bad Module

Just wanted to end this thread and let everyone know that this was because of a bad 1734-OE2V. Received a new module today to replace the one that was showing solid red lights, and the new module works like a charm.

Thanks for you help Ken, much appreciated!