OT: Network transfer speeds

Oceansoul

Not strictly a PLC question as such, but i'm sure people here have experience of moving large amounts of data across LAN.

How long roughly should it take to copy 238GB of data (SCADA Backup image) from a local drive on a computer to a NAS drive?

Connected by Ethernet, The computer is showing its connected to the LAN at 100Mb/s. The NAS and computer are both connected to the same switch on the LAN (not via the router or anything). Both have fixed IP address (not DHCP). The transfer rate is currently 10MB/s, and estimated time is 7 hours!!!

Simple calculation says
238,000 MegaByte / 10 MegaByte/sec= 23,800 seconds
23,800/ 60/ 60 = 6 hours
Add some little bit of overhead and 7 hours seems a likely estimate...

It sounds so simple now :) I've since researched that 10MB/s is about the max speeds possible on a 100Mb/s connection, so im going to upgrade the switch to a gigabit switch.

Upgrading to Gigabit switches and NICs is definitely the easiest thing you can do.

Another thing you can look into is NIC teaming which a lot of premium NAS' support. Basically using two NIC's to double up the connection to increase bandwidth.