PanelView600 replacement

theghost

Gentlemen,

It happened so, that one of two PV600 was stollen. I have a picture of rear label from the second PV, and I know that both of PV had the same software. I have a backup copy of PV datacard. Since ther is no way to buy an exact model of PV in Russia, I went to ebay, and found, that exist at least a dozen of PV600 modifications - visually they are the same, but I am unsure, that my old backupped files will run with other PV models. The model I have is Panel View 2711-K6C2L1 rev D.

Could you say if there any PV600 with other modifications letters will be usable for me?

Thanks in advance

Panel View 2711-k6c2l1 rev D.jpg

You need a "2711-K6C2" or "2711-K6C3" but the Series and Revision are not as important.

The 2711-K6C2 has only the DH485 network port, and the 2711-K6C3 has an additional Printer port but it otherwise identical.

All PanelView Standard terminals with v3 or better firmware can be upgraded using an ordinary ATA style memory card, so the firmware revision does not matter. You can upgrade (almost) anything you buy to be compatible with the program file you already have.

The "L1" in the part number just meant it was 24V DC powered. If you find one without the "L1" it will require 120V AC.

You need a "2711-K6C2" or "2711-K6C3" but the Series and Revision are not as important.

The 2711-K6C2 has only the DH485 network port, and the 2711-K6C3 has an additional Printer port but it otherwise identical.
Yes, It was connected with DH485 with slc5/03. Printer is not significant except it costs more...

All PanelView Standard terminals with v3 or better firmware can be upgraded using an ordinary ATA style memory card, so the firmware revision does not matter. You can upgrade (almost) anything you buy to be compatible with the program file you already have.
Is this mean that I can buy, say, at ebay or elsewhere any PV, like "Allen Bradley AB 2711-K6C8 /B", and it will work? Which code mean firmware release? Does anywhere exist a table with description of these codes?

The "L1" in the part number just meant it was 24V DC powered. If you find one without the "L1" it will require 120V AC.
So should look for L1 mark or use a step-up DC/AC converter. One question is cleared. 🤞🏻

PV600 replacement

Still can not find a 2711-K6C2 or 2711-K6C3. Thought that maybe other panels with bigger screen can become a replacement? There is no problem with adaptation of the stand, in which this panel was mounted, the only question is to be sure, that the backupped software will run in PV without any changes. Anyone could suggest models with bigger screen and DH485 port? Where to get TFM for PV600 family?🤞🏻

Personally, i would take this time to migrate to some other platform. You are having problems locatating a replacement panelview NOW, its only going to get worse next time you need to replace one. I would go ahead and migrate to a Panelview+ or even a non-allen bradly HMI that will have support in your location available for the next several years.

i would take this time to migrate to some other platform.
I thought about it, but there is nobody, who is able to migrate a AB SLC 5/03 program, especially the cost of migration. There is a mobile unit, lifetime should be not more than 10-12 years, it works (worked) since 2007, and the half of this time is already expired... Also we do not have a source codes (algos) for the SLC program, and the best solution in this case - is simply to purchase a required components and to restore it's functionality without any great reworks.

I thought about it, but there is nobody, who is able to migrate a AB SLC 5/03 program, especially the cost of migration. There is a mobile unit, lifetime should be not more than 10-12 years, it works (worked) since 2007, and the half of this time is already expired... Also we do not have a source codes (algos) for the SLC program, and the best solution in this case - is simply to purchase a required components and to restore it's functionality without any great reworks.

He is not talking about the SLC, just changing the HMI to a different brand.

He is not talking about the SLC, just changing the HMI to a different brand.
This mean recompiling/rebuilding the code for PV? Sure this will cause different unexpected errors on exchange between HMI and old slc. At least I do not have such experience. Probably for now the best solution is to restore the system, and after, when I'll have some more spare time, to spend it in de-bugging while moving to new HMI. Or I do a mistake now? As soon as I was not digged the PV program deep, while I opened it with PanelBuilder32 (it runs under w8/32bit good :) ) I watched a kind of variables map that is intended to make a PV understand a flow from slc and back to it. And I am not sure that another HMI will have someting similiar, that will give me painless way to move to it. Or it is possible?

This mean recompiling/rebuilding the code for PV? Sure this will cause different unexpected errors on exchange between HMI and old slc.

Not if you are good, or hire someone who is good. 🍺

The Panelview Standards are pretty basic. There is not going to be anything buried in scripts or special code to deal with.

As long as the person doing the conversion fully understands PB32, that person should be able to do a flawless conversion just by having the original panelbuilder file, and may not even need the SLC code. Sometimes the use of ASCII variables and a couple of other less common things can present some extra hurdles.

There should be no changes required to the SLC software if you use the same DH485 connection. Even if you opt to use a different channel to connect an upgraded HMI, most likely, the only thing you will need to change or verify would be the channel settings of the other channel to be used.

theghost said:
At least I do not have such experience. Probably for now the best solution is to restore the system, and after, when I'll have some more spare time, to spend it in de-bugging while moving to new HMI.

I concur. Find a Panelview Standard unit that is compatible and get the equipment running. Ken gave you good part numbers already.

theghost said:
Or I do a mistake now? As soon as I was not digged the PV program deep, while I opened it with PanelBuilder32 (it runs under w8/32bit good :) ) I watched a kind of variables map that is intended to make a PV understand a flow from slc and back to it. And I am not sure that another HMI will have someting similiar, that will give me painless way to move to it. Or it is possible?

You are probably looking at the tag list in the PB32 program.

When you migrate to a newer platform, be aware of the DH485 connection that you are using now. I would suggest that you look at other communication options that are more widely supported. In order to do that, it would be necessary to answer a couple of questions:

1) What model is the SLC to which it is connected?
2) What is the distance (in feet of cable) between the SLC and the Panelview?

I, personally, love the Red Lion G3 series HMI. You can connect them directly to the DH485 network with some research and some cable fabrication skill. They will be powered by 24vdc and consume much less power than the old Panelview and much much less power than the Panelview Plus. So you would not have to worry about changing power supplies or sources. Also it is not to difficult to import the entire tag database into Crimson software (which is a free download). This helps avoid errors in recreating tags, which is the most common errors one would make during a manual reproduction.

I have no idea what sort of support Red Lion offers as far as distributors in your country. For that reason, it might be worth considering upgrading to a PanelView Plus. In some cases, it is possible to import the panelbuilder32 program and do an automatic conversion in order to use the still available Panelview plus.

I hope this helps, and good luck in your hardware search.

Not if you are good, or hire someone who is good. 🍺

1) What model is the SLC to which it is connected?
2) What is the distance (in feet of cable) between the SLC and the Panelview?

Ok, slc5/03 and the distance is less then 3ft. So I ordered PV660 K6c9 and will use a bidirectional 232/485 converter, as well as 24VDC to 220VAC inverter. Will try to fix a PV user code, hope I have enough skills to win in this fight :):D

Ok, slc5/03 and the distance is less then 3ft. So I ordered PV660 K6c9 and will use a bidirectional 232/485 converter, as well as 24VDC to 220VAC inverter. Will try to fix a PV user code, hope I have enough skills to win in this fight :):D

I would steer clear of a generic converter. DH485 and RS485 are not one and the same. Instead, since the distance is only three feet, I would try to use the serial port on the 5/03, unless it is already in use, and get a Panelview 600 with a DF1 serial port. Yes, this might mean that you need to unplug that cable and lose access to the HMI when you need to hook up your PC for programming the 5/03.

It should require minimal changes to the original PB32 program to make it work with the serial connection.

Also, being able to use the serial (DF1) connection gives you a huge number of upgrade options.

It has been too long for me to remember, but in some models, the printer port can be set up for use as a DF1 serial port. Others with quicker internet and available manuals may be able to confirm or negate this possibility.

So the next question is going to be what if anything is connected to the 9 pin serial port on the 5/03?

It has been too long for me to remember, but I think the DH485 units with a printer port do not allow that port to be used for Df1 serial connections. Someone with a manual handy may be able to clarify this. I would look again for a:

2711-K6C16L1 (DC powered)
or if not available:
2711-K6C16 (AC powered)

https://www.google.com/search?q=271...10&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=2711-K6C16L1&tbm=shop

Last edited:
So the next question is going to be what if anything is connected to the 9 pin serial port on the 5/03?
okay, thanks for detailed info, well, comm was used as log retrieving channel, but nobody in my practice (except me đź“š) used it since nobody knows how to do it, and the log parsing s/w is obsolete and weak... I will not. o_O

Also nobody will upgrade it in a nearest future, so the serial is 99% free... :D

Anyway, if there any human-friendly decription for DH485? And especially pinout for slc5/03 ? Sometimes enough to solder 4 level converters/inverters to get a fine result...