Just thinking at a stop light....

Because they are not concentrating on driving and they are not looking at the lights, where as the people behind are looking at the lights and cursing those in front of them for not moving.

Alan

What is the definition of a split second.

The time from when the light goes green and the person behind starts tooting his horn.

Have you ever noticed that when travelling on the highway all the cars slow down in "waves" that appear to have no visible reason?

http://math.mit.edu/projects/traffic/

HAVE I EVER NOTICED?!?! HAVE I EVER NOTICED???!!!!ARE YOU KIDDONG ME??? HAVE I EVER NOTICED??? I AM NOT SURPRISED THAT PEOPLE GET SHOT DUE TO ROAD RAGE... I AM SURPRISED MORE PEOPLE DON'T GET SHOT.:unsure:

one time my young son said "why doesn't the first guy just keep moving? " good question.

what I like is when you're trying to pull out into a line of traffic that is spaced out far enough that you could make it , and the first guy is going like 90 until he sees that you are going to wait for him, whereupon he immediately slows down to the point where everybody behind him closes the gap and you are stuck . OH YEAH ... I'VE NOTICED :)

I have learned that, unless a car is presenting an actual threat to my safety, I just don't care if they are a slower or blocking my progress. If I'm a few minutes later so what? It really helps my attitude and lessens my rate of consuming antacids. Then again, since I tend to drive right at the speed limit (if safe to do so, we do have winter), I may be the one others are becoming upset over. Maybe it's age.

Bernie I would use the winter as an excuse as well.

Peter I can't spell PID so if this is a stupid question you can just say "Jeff that was stupid". Wouldn't the reaction of the other drivers be very similar to a loop inside another loop? My thoughts the first driver reacts then the second reacts to the first and so on. One of my other thoughts the first reacts then the second reacts, the third driver reacts to the first driver not the second driver. Then the third driver has a wreck into the second driver. That would cause a loop to become unstable. I know I would be unstable if I was the second driver.

what I like is when you're trying to pull out into a line of traffic that is spaced out far enough that you could make it , and the first guy is going like 90 until he sees that you are going to wait for him, whereupon he immediately slows down to the point where everybody behind him closes the gap and you are stuck . OH YEAH ... I'VE NOTICED :)

Boohoo, driving sucks: :)

images

Anytime Peter says "Just thinking..." I feel the need to reach for my calculator.

And I love the quote below, although I am probably butchering it...

"If everyone on the road is an a$$hole, perhaps it is you that is actually the a$$hole."

I learned long ago when I had to commute in and out of downtown Seattle each day to just let it go...person driving 50 in the fast lane? Let it go....Then when I could no longer "let it go", I moved. :)

OG

Why is it that the first car always has the longest dead time and time constant?

This is a simple corollary of one of the laws of engineering - Murphy's Law, of course.

Wisconsin is the worst state in the union for people hanging in the left lane and travelling below the speed limit on a clear dry highway. Another corollary of Murphy's Law is that they will be next to someone in the right lane travelling at the same speed with the same level of unconsciousness.

I've learned to just wait, but I haven't learned to accept it calmly!

Why is it that the first car always has the longest dead time and time constant?
Because the 1st guy has been sitting at the light longer than anyone else, naturally his dead time is going to be longer. He has been there so long that he started thinking about or doing something else and forgot that others are waiting on him.

Probably in about 10 more years, most cars will be automated driverless cars, and only people who have passed special tests will be allowed to get behnind the wheel....

I think we should be retested every so often. I know several people that shouldn't be driving. My grand parents when they where alive shouldn't have been driving later in life. One of my good friends grand father is 90+ and a very driver.

I know several people that shouldn't be driving.
That's me. I know I should not drive, and avoid it as much as possible. 5 years ago I moved from a farm in the country to town so I would not be so dependent on driving. I live within walking distance now to a grocery store, my bank, my drug store, and a park. I will probably need to move into an assisted living facility in a few more years.