plc to plc direct connection ?

torque

Hello,
i need to connect directly two FEC FC34. It says in the manual it can be done with cross over lan cable but nothing on how to manage communication. And i didn't find much on the web. I use FST4 programming software and stl programming.
My goal is to connect some of the outputs of one of the plcs to some of the inputs of the other plc and vice versa. Can i connect output to input directly?
Excuse me if i ask stupid questions...... it is the first time i have to do something related to plcs.

Some specs :
Digital Inputs 12
Number of above usable as high-
speed inputs (max. 2 kHz) 2
Number of above usable as incre-
mental encoders 2
Input voltage/current 24 V DC, typical 7 mA
Connection type Positive or negative switching (PNP or NPN)
Nominal value for TRUE 15 V DC min. (for positive switching)
Nominal value for FALSE 5 V DC max. (for positive switching)
Input signal delay Typical 5 ms
Electrical isolation Yes, via optocoupler
Perm. length of connecting cable Max. 30 m

Digital Outputs 8
Contacts
2xrelay
6 x transistor
Relay features
Maximum voltage 250 V AC, 30 V DC
Maximum peak current 5 A for 100,000 switching cycles
Maximum switching frequency 25 Hz
Solid state relay features
Maximum voltage 250 V AC, 125 V DC
Maximum peak current 600 mA
Service life 100,000 hours
Maximum switching frequency 10 Hz
Transistor features
Voltage 24 V DC
Current 600 mA
Short circuit proof Yes
Overload-proof Yes
Proof against lamp resistances Yes
Service life 100,000 hours
Maximum switching frequency 1kHz

if you have enough spare i/o, yes you can use some outputs from 1 plc to inform the second one as long as voltage and refference potential are the same. This would be the easiest way to do it but not the more clean and efficient way. Usually we use plc network and communication bloc to have some data register to be sent or receive from 1 plc to the other thru a common network. Either serial or ethernet according to plc possibility. Regarding your FEC, i have no idea...

Last edited:
The specs say 24 V DC for inputs and outputs but typical current at inputs is 7mA and transistor outputs current is 600 mA, so i guess i won't be able to directly connect outputs to inputs :oops: Am i wrong?

The specs say 24 V DC for inputs and outputs but typical current at inputs is 7mA and transistor outputs current is 600 mA, so i guess i won't be able to directly connect outputs to inputs
Yes, you can. The outputs can handle UP TO 700ma. The input only draws 7ma.

🍻

-Eric