Control Panel Building and Arc Flash

Tim Ganz

Looking to build a new control panel and I don't have much experience in arc flash rules. Was thinking of using something such as this http://www.martinsales.com/Sequestor.pdf but the price is really out there at almost twice the cost of a standard panel that size.

If you don't use a panel like the Sequestr then are you still required to have on arc flash gear like gloves and face shield when working in a panel and the main disconnect is off and locked out? The only thing still live at that point is the line side of the disconnect but does that still men being suited up in arc flash gear?

If you don't use a panel like the Sequestr then are you still required to have on arc flash gear like gloves and face shield when working in a panel and the main disconnect is off and locked out?
I think it mostly depends on the level of danger in and near the enclosure, which depends mostly on the voltage level, but with consideration of the Equipment Type, Equipment Class, and the Task Level. Here is a spreadsheet that will tell you the protective clothing needed for many different levels of hazard.

If the enclosure is not energized (upstream switch or breaker is locked out), then the voltage level is "50 or below", and no protective clothing is required (other than the normal safety equipment such as hard hats and safety glasses).

Last edited:
tim,

at our facility, we only use cat 2 and 4 arc flash equipment.

there are exception to to arc flash work at every facility.

for anything over 120, we put on insulated gloves, leather gloves over that and a hood. all clothes are rated cat 2.

we test the volt meter to see if it works, turn off the panel and then verify all 3 lines are off. we then remove our gear.

regards,
james