RSLogix 5000

strikom

Dear experts,
I have written to kindly inquire whether the RSLogix500 software can be used to program(upload/download) from AB ControlLogix PLCs. If not, is there a trial license that can temporarily allow me to download a program onto a machine?!

Kind regards,

Strikom,

confused a bit by your post.

The title says RSLogix 5000 and the text is RSLogix 500 - which one do you mean?

RS Logix 5000 (now Studio 5000) is used for Control Logix and Compact Logix PLCs, but the software version number has to be the same one that the PLC was created with, and it will tell you what version was used when you try to log on with the incorrect version..

RSLogix 500 is used for MicroLogix and SLC PLCs.

I do not know of any trial version of RSLogix 5000 that you can get.

@JohnCalderwood
Apologies, I meant the RSLogix5000. The thing is that I have a machine that runs the controllogix plc and it needs re-programming. I need to download the program from a similar machine elsewhere and upload it to the faulty machine. Is there any other way/utility that I can use.

Kind regards,

Yes, RSLogix 5000 can UPLOAD from one processor, and DOWNLOAD to another, provided there is no protection applied to the processor you are UPLOADING from. As stated above, you need to use the same version of Logix 5000 that the CPU was programmed with. It is easy to convert a program to a higher firmware level, and possible to go to a lower firmware level, but that procedure isn't straighforward.

First question, how do you know that the non-functional machine does not have a program?

Second question, are the machines SIMILAR or IDENTICAL? There is a huge difference.

@JohnCalderwood
Apologies, I meant the RSLogix5000. The thing is that I have a machine that runs the controllogix plc and it needs re-programming. I need to download the program from a similar machine elsewhere and upload it to the faulty machine. Is there any other way/utility that I can use.

Kind regards,

Firstly, let us get the terminology correct...

In the Allen-Bradley world, to copy a program FROM a PLC or Logix controller TO your programming PC or Laptop is to UPLOAD.

To copy a program FROM your PC or Laptop TO a PLC or Logix controller is to DOWNLOAD.

It is wise to get that very clear in your own mind, or you may well end up losing your programs.

You can save a copy of the program in the running machine onto a CompactFlash (1756-L6x series), or SD (1756-L7x series) card inserted into the controller.

This you can then put into the target machine, and copy the program into the controller's memory.

Regardless of which method you choose, you will need RSLogix5000 programming software to intiate the transfers.

I'm fairly certain that the "Service Edition" will do what you want, but am open to being corrected on this.