Career Question

AEWynn

I am now to this BB so please forgive my inexperience.

I have a career question. I have been away from designing control systems for 10+ years and am trying to get back into the industry. Ihave had a difficult time just getting an interview (understandably). And would like to ask if anyone knows of any volunteer opportunities that would allow me to brush up on my skills?

Also, any suggestions on how to get back into industry would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Have you checked up local vo tech? It will give you a refresher, and perhaps put you in contact with some like minded locals or even internships.

I have been away from designing control systems for 10+ years and am trying to get back into the industry.

Its just like riding a bike... once you start again you will remember why you got out in the first place :)

But now everything is automated so its funner, if you do mind me asking why did you take a 10 year vacation?

Thanks everyone for your advice.

geniusintraining - I agree it is just like riding a bike, I just have to find a bike to ride.

I wish it was a vacation. It was the evolution of my career. I went from a Control Systems Engineer to a Corporate controls role developing automation standards and managing integration projects to an IT Portfolio Manager. Still close to manufacturing systems.

The Portfolio role evolved into more of a finance for IT role, and then into a strictly finance role. I did not enjoy any of the finance roles and now, after being downsized, I am looking at what I want to do and I keep coming back to Control Systems. I was the most satisfied when I was designing Control Systems, so I am on a mission to get back to that type of role.

Now you have the back story. Thoughts?

James Mcquade,

That is a great idea. I was going through some stuff in the basement the other day and pulled out some old PLC print outs and schematics. I think I still have an old SLC500 somewhere, just have to find it. I'd like to practice on Wonderware as well. When I was using Wonderware, the sales guys would provide a demo package where you were limited to 30 tags and a run time of 30 minutes. Do you know if they still do that?

boneles,

I have checked, no PLC courses at the local Community College. But I have not checked the tech schools. Thanks for the idea.

And would like to ask if anyone knows of any volunteer opportunities that would allow me to brush up on my skills?
You could help Kannan with this Automated Parking Garage project. He needs all the help he can get, and I know will be very thankful for any tips. He is now working under an extended deadline to finish, but lacks a lot of Omron PLC programming and HMI menu development. See this thread:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=83897

boneles,

I have checked, no PLC courses at the local Community College. .

Why not teach one? it will be a way to get back in to programming and controls... agree you will still need another job to make money but it maybe fun?

I know a few company's that are hiring but not in your area do you want to stay local?

Have you thought about going out on your own? it maybe a large jump so you might want to get your feet wet again

James Mcquade,

That is a great idea. I was going through some stuff in the basement the other day and pulled out some old PLC print outs and schematics. I think I still have an old SLC500 somewhere, just have to find it. I'd like to practice on Wonderware as well. When I was using Wonderware, the sales guys would provide a demo package where you were limited to 30 tags and a run time of 30 minutes. Do you know if they still do that?
Actually, I believe you can download the latest version of Wonderware from their site and it will run in demo mode. If not, your local distributor may give you a free 30 day license.
ftp://ftp.west.wonderware.com/wondereware/installs user name customer, password support. Good luck. On the gulf coast, there is work for anyone that can pronounce system integrator, let alone spell it.

Thanks FluxCap,

I was able to download the demo version which gives me 30 tags and 120 minutes of runtime. Now I just need to find some of my old programs. I think they are on my old NT machine but I have forgotten the pw (user and admin). Tried to boot off a floppy and CD but the machine keeps going to the hard disk first, even after I changed the BIOS to look at drive A first. Thinking about taking the drive out of the machine and making it an external drive. Anyone have any advice on this?

I would be open to coming to the Gulf Coast or elsewhere for an opportunity. Any suggestions on good places to target and who I should talk to about that?