data copying

buddhaman001

You guys have been awesome in helping me learn this plc and software stuff so I wanna poke you guys for one more question.

In factorytalk studio se, im wanting to copy an expressions value to a different tag so i can put it in the logs, the guy wants smoother lines in his logs so ive converted his real time logs to floating point which worked great, however it seems i cant have expressions on the log side of the system, (at least everytime i put my "tag * variable" in the log i get a return of nothing and when i look at where i can assign tags to the log i can put no expressions there either.

So is there a way i can add a small expression to a numerical display to copy the value to another tag?

wish i could just do "tag * variable && set copytag" but i see no set options in the functions section either.

thanks guys!

AHA! So after plenty of sleep, and a rather admittedly weird dream I came up with a solution! EVENTS! It was really simple actually now that i think about it here was the solution i came up with.

Create an event that runs a macro, the event triggeres every 10 seconds using:

interval("10 sec") (doesnt have to be perfect our logs only record once a minute as we are hoping to keep logs for two years)

upon expiration of that timer it runs a macro i named "float copy"

in the macro i placed all the commands needed to set my needed tags with an expression resolved value instead of a direct copy!

&SET experiment\incopy2 (experiment\inanalog * 0.067)

YAY!

Well done! It's always satisfying when you ask for assistance, and then find a solution before anyone else can help you.

Keep it up.

while finding the solution is satisfying in itself i think even more satisfying is that i wont have to drive 300 miles today just to set an rtu to save a value as a float instead of a integer :)

Hi

Welcome to the great world of controls.
You will have very bad days but then I find the worst days
are nearly always just before a great day as you have had.

Donnchadh