CPU of PLCs

dandrade

Would be able to, relate the information that know about the Chips of CPU of PLCs? It relate the model of PLC (any year 1963-20XX),the manufacturer of the chip CPU and code .
I import in collect, these information to deepen other researches in automation.

Someone exists guy, that work in repair PLCs? Accustomed it see nude PLCs(Ohh)
Would Be grateful, if contacto these persons and return information, my writing can frighten.
Topic marked, to receive notifications replys.Any year add reply.

What difference does is make?

TI 525 and 535 TI9990
TI 545 68020
TI 555 68030
TI565 ? haven't looked.
TI575 68020
PLC5 3 x 68000
SLC5/03 68030
Modicon 984-385 80186. I think all the 984 PLC are 186s expect for the E series. They might be 386s.
Modicon 984A 4 AMD 2900 bit slice. Mimicks a PDP11 instruction set.
GE9070 The original ones had 386s.

I have many more PLCs but I haven't felt like pulling them apart just to look

Siemens, no idea. I have on old 315,316 and 214. I never felt like pulling those apart.

After awhile I stopped being interested because it makes no difference until something radical happened. We notice that the Control Logix uses a gate array that appears to contain an ARM core and all or most of the bus interface. I am now convinced that this is the future as this allows the designers to put almost all the circuitry in one chip and it can easily be redesigned. Gate arrays are getting cheaper every day. In fact the new gate arrays that are twice as big or twice as fast are often cheaper than the earlier models that are much slower and smaller. I would not be surprised if the newer Control Logix 5563 were cheaper to make than the earlier L1.
Another advantage is that the PLC manufacturer is no longer dependent on a single supplier of CPUs. Do you guys know that AMD stopped making many of the x86s for the industrial market? What do you do when your CPU maker stops making the CPU you are using? There are many forms of x86 that are no longer available.

I am not brave enough to put the CPU in the gate array, yet, but I
know it will happen.

So the future questions is "what CPU core and which gate array is in my PLC". What difference does it make?