Serial Data Stream

Edmhydraulics

Hello, I am a bit of a serial newby, but what I have is a serial level sensor that sends a serial data stream to a slave module, the slave module displays the level of product in the tank. I have a level sensor set up on my bench, I can simulate a slave and display the level of product on my laptop using the tank sensor's software and a supplied converter.

The serial data stream can be seen on the right hand side of the attached screen shot, the tank volume on the left (4344).

My question is how does it get that volume from the data stream?

I am guessing that 0x72 is the start of the message and 0x01 is the end of the message as these repeat consistently. But how is 4344 derived from the other parts of the message.

Thoughts?

Serial Data Stream.jpg

4344 (decimal) = 10 F8 (hexadecimal).

The least-significant-byte is F8 (hex), and it is transmitted first, followed by the most-significant-byte 10 (hex).