Torque or speed servo drives

Plc_User

I position control is done in a motion controller, and the drives connected tot it by analog setpoint (+-10V) can not only be speed drives (setpoint from the motion controller is speed setpoint) but can also be torque drives (setpoint from the motion controller is torque setpoint).
In both situations we want to control position with the motion controller.
What are the advantages - disadvantages of both methods of coupling with the servodrives?

Generally Torque is better

What servo drive hardware are you using? (more specific answers to your situation)

What is your mechanical setup? (Belt? Direct drive? gearbox?)

What is your desired positioning accuracy and tolerance?

Last edited:
I do not have such an actual situation for the moment.
It was a question towards possible future projects.
I was interested in sharing knowledge with others.