Motor Lead Colors

Tim Ganz

On 3 phase 480 volt motor loads in some systems I see the use of brown, orange, yellow THHN leaving the control cabinet to the motor and on other systems I see black THHN from the control panel to the motor and sometimes phasing tape is used and sometimes not just has the wire numbers.

Which method is the best? I am speaking of 30 amp and below motor circuits using # 10 or 12 wire.

The NEC doesn't dictate wire colors in these instances. Brown, Orange and Yellow are just a typical industry wiring standard for 480/277V. They could be any color (except white, grey, green (with or w/o a yellow stripe) or obviously bare.

Next time I would put all of your wiring questions in one thread.

And Orange is used to mark the high leg on a 4-Wire Delta. This is why I don't use Orange to mark phases on 480/277.

You'll often see 480/277 colored Brown-Orange-Yellow because it was easy to remember, BOY. I've also seen Red-Black-Blue used because it was easy to remember, think stars and stripes.

You could check with your local municipality and see if they have amended the NEC with their own color codes. My local municipality uses Brown-Yellow-Purple for 480/277.

I prefer colored wire since you can't cut the color off and it can't fall off. That being said I use both ways on a regular basis. It gets expensive when you run sizes greater than 10awg and must buy 4 rolls when you may only need 1.

The biggest reason for using all black versus colors is that in larger sizes, colors are not commonly available (or are prohibitively expensive). So, using black and identifying them makes perfect sense. And, in my experience B-O-Y is 480 volt, and Bk-Red-Bl 240 volt.

We use BOY for 480V but always verify with a phase meter in case the sparky (or our old distribution system) got two of the phases crossed somewhere.

I just wanted to chime in and add that we only use red-black-blue exclusively here for all voltage ranges up to 600v. Obviously we identify the neutral as white if it's not already white.

I just wanted to chime in and add that we only use red-black-blue exclusively here for all voltage ranges up to 600v. Obviously we identify the neutral as white if it's not already white.

all depends on your wire standards

White or Black can be actives in Australia
GREEN/YELLOW stripe (earth or Ground)

FYI - a bit of additional information
Yellow and RED and Green is the 3 phase colour for Russia
:sick:

2011 NEC

210.5 Identification for Branch Circuits.
(C)Ungrounded Conductors. Where the premises wiring system has branch circuits supplied from more than one nominal voltage system, each ungrounded conductor of a branch circuit, where accessible, shall be identified by system. The means of identification shall be permitted to be by separate color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means and shall be permanently posted at each branch-circuit panelboard or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment.

This means if you have 208/120 volt and 480/277 volt systems in a building you have to mark them differently.

Also from the NEC.

215.12 Identification for Feeders.
(C) Ungrounded Conductors.
(2) Feeders Supplied From Direct Current Systems. Where a feeder is supplied from a dc system operating at more than 60 volts, each ungrounded conductor of 4 AWG or larger shall be identified by polarity at all termination, connection, and splice points by marking tape, tagging, or other approved means; each ungrounded conductor of 6 AWG or smaller shall be identified by polarity at all termination, connection, and splice points in compliance with 215.12210.5(C)(2)(a) and (b). The identification methods utilized for conductors originating within each feeder panelboard or
similar feeder distribution equipment shall be documented in a manner that is readily available or shall be permanently posted at each feeder panelboard or similar feeder distribution equipment