panel view communication

shakirgalebsa

Hi,
i have panelview plus 700 hmi i dont have the hmi backup. i am trying to upload the backup from hmi i am getting the below message
the source selected is not a valid device
please select a valid source and try again

i had tried communication lot of times and i checked ip address and subnet mask but still i am getting the same problem.
so please.............. any one help me

It sounds like you are using the FT View transfer utility? I have seen this error several times also.

I'm not sure what was exactly the problem, but there were leftover devices in the RSLinx Enterprise communications tree from the last network I connected to.

After letting RSLinx Enterprise do it's scan thing and remove the devices that were no longer there, which took several minutes. I was able to select the Panel View from the list, and it prompted me with the list of apps in the internal storage. I actually got frustrated, said a colorful metaphor about AB and went on break, when I returned the communications tree was all cleaned up and I was able to upload from the PV.

Last edited:
you can use a usb stick drive to load the .mer file.If your old panelview is operational insert it in the usb slot and in config go to file management and then copy files. it will be external storage 2. It will take a few minutes to create the registry. Then load the stick in the new panelview and load to the new panelview. make sure you save the file on the panelview or you will have to let the stick in. I have always had my files backed up on the stick so i am not sure but if the new panelview will create the registry without copying a file from the panelview. If it does you could copy the .mer file from the workstation and then load. Not at work right now and i dont know what the registry is offhand. AB recommends a blank drive.

Last edited:
you will still have to set up communications with processor. if it is ethernet and you set your ip and subnet with the plc your good to go. load then run the app from config. if not you can do that from the config screen also. no laptop needed.