RS Logix 500

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi I am revisiting RS Logix after 15 years.... and have a newbie question

Is

MOV
Source B:15.0
Dest O:9.1

Basically is this copying the status of the bit B:15.0 to 0:9.1 ?

Last edited:
OK thanks

So basically is same as "XIC B15.0 OTE 09.1"

I may have a few more dumb questions when I have finished trawling the code.

I don't think you can Move bit addresses, only complete Words, such as B3:15.

The bit addresses should be something like B3:15/0 (File 3, Word 15, bit 0) and O:9/1 (Slot 9, Output #1). Use XIC to "copy" a bit to an Output location.

Here are the errors you get if you try to MOV bits only. You could use the Masked Move (MVM instruction), and mask out all the bits in the word that you don't want to move (0001h mask).

Move Bit Attempt.JPG

Last edited:
This would be the equivalent MVM instruction that would move only the 0 bit (rightmost bit) out of word B3:15 to word O:9.0, bit 0.

Masked Move Atempt.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Lancie here is a code excerpt,

Is this just copying the named B bits to the named Output bits (Only the 1 bit)

logix1.png

In your MOV instructions you are specifying an entire word (16 bits) for the source and the destination. Your 'B' addresses are seperate 'B' files (15, 17, 19 and 21) and the first whole word within that file.

A bit address would have a '/' (see post #4). To transfer the state of 1 bit from one place to another just use a single XIC contact in line with an OTE output.

Your statement in post #3

are also specifying whole 16 bit words. You need to read the section on addressing formats to familiarize yourself with the differences.

Last edited:
Hi Bernie
I am trying to understand someone elses code that I need to modify in a few weeks time

So basically these instructions are writing 16 bits from the B File word into the output cards attached to the RIO scanner

I was confused by the O9.1 and O9.4... so to be clear the O9.1 refers to the Slot 9 word 1 so the B File word is being sent to the RIO cards

When I have the schematics I think it will be clearer to me

logix2.jpg

Last edited:
Im going to read the manuals tomorrow when I am fresh

Thanks for the help so far