Send ASCII String over Ethernet

poj101

Hi All,

I am currently developing an application using a L18ER PLC and a JET 3 printer. The printer prints a 2D UV bar code onto bottles passing underneath the print head on a conveyor.
For each batch run the data matrix code is changed / edited, so I can run the same job on the printer and only have to change the information for the data matrix. The printer can be set up for this by using external text function and sending an ASCII string from the PLC to the printer with some simple commands and the new data: ^0=ET XXXXXX CR. My question is what is the best method to send out the data from the PLC?
Should I configure a MSG instruction and create a socket?
Should I use TCP or UDP?

If you have serial ports on both plc/printer you can use serial commands to transfer data. Serial commands only work with plcs with serial ports.

I prefer if your printer has Ethernet port than transfer data over Ethernet communications using MSG instruction.

Right click on your ENBT and add a generic ethernet module, you must know your assembly instances and sizes

Then use a MSG instruction to pass the string to the printer