Need Help on SERVO Control Selection

busarider29

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a legacy Pacific Scientific (now Kollmorgen) servo motor, part #R67BENH-R2-NS-NV-00. Attached is the motor data for this motor in pdf format that I received from Kollmorgen. I need to replace the drive and I want to go with something Allen Bradley. I have done some research on the Kinetix 6000 and found a a few of those units on Ebay that I could get. Would this drive work for this motor?? Also, I want to go Controllogix. What processor and card do I need (least expensive) for this? Also, I will have two servo motors to control with each running at constant speeds and acceration rates reaching 0-3000 rpm per second up to full motor RPM. I was looking at the L43 controllogix processor with a SERCOS card but not being an expert, I'm not sure if that is what I should go with or if it would work, etc. Any advice or expert opinions would be welcomed.

Thank you in advance,
Don

With AC motors and most steppers, you can use whatever drive you want. Not so with servos. Motor and controller are closely matched.
Are you trying to build an XY table on the cheap?

I have a legacy Pacific Scientific (now Kollmorgen) servo motor, part #R67BENH-R2-NS-NV-00. Attached is the motor data for this motor in pdf format that I received from Kollmorgen. I need to replace the drive and I want to go with something Allen Bradley. I have done some research on the Kinetix 6000 and found a a few of those units on Ebay that I could get. Would this drive work for this motor?? Also, I want to go Controllogix. What processor and card do I need (least expensive) for this? Also, I will have two servo motors to control with each running at constant speeds and acceration rates reaching 0-3000 rpm per second up to full motor RPM. I was looking at the L43 controllogix processor with a SERCOS card but not being an expert, I'm not sure if that is what I should go with or if it would work, etc. Any advice or expert opinions would be welcomed.

Thank you in advance,
Don
I agree with the original response...servo motors and drives are generally well matched. Motors, as a percentage cost of the whole system, are generally inexpensive. And, you state that the motor is also "legacy", which sounds to me like "vintage" and/or "the next thing to become hard to find/obsolete". The quandry of your post is that you're calling out Allen Bradley and SERCOS and Kinetics, as if they are inexpensive. How about an end-to-end replacement, with a new motion controller, motor, drive, etc.?? You could do brand xxxx (PM me, and I'll make a recommendation), for way less $$$ (you do mention 'least expensive') compared with what you're calling out here.
"If you want better answers, ask better questions."

I have done several Kinetix 6K systems on Logix platforms.
My advice......run the other way.

I have pretty much standardized on Yaskawa Sigma 5s with either MP2300IEC or MP2600 motion controllers.

They both speak Ethernet/IP and marry nicely to either Logix or Micro 1100/1400 platforms. The tuning and performance of them blow the doors of Kinetix.