What PLC is this???

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need a PLC that is: VME based, does LD, FBD, SFC, ST and IL programs. I'm guessing something non-US, but am not familiar
enough with this market.

(This is a customer spec, so, it may be a PLC that is not made
yet.)

Thanks, in advance. I just KNOW that someone here knows the answer.

LD = Ladder Logic Diagram
FBD = Function Block Diagram
SFC = Sequential Function Chart
ST = Statement List
IL = Instruction List

(and, oh, yea, ST = Structured Text) thanks, guest

Last edited:
PEP/KONTRON uses IsaGraf as its programming package. IsaGraf is an IEC1131-3 compliant software with all the mentioned languages.

edit: Rudi, you are probably thinking of JD's second post. You can edit a post after it has been posted (like I am doing now).

Last edited:
Rudi - I knew you'd ask that. Control technicians are often required to read people's minds and predict the future. It's all in a day's work.

Not quite sure what VME is but the new Moeller XControl processors have support for all of those languages.

I haven't had any experience w/ the XControl but in their PS4 line (No SFC support but has LD/IL/ST/FB) the ladder is a little weak however the others seem fine. I've only played with the XSoft programming language but the ladder seems a bit better than the PS4.

XSoft, the programming language also has something called CFC or Continuous Function Chart. The description in the help says: "The continuous function chart editor does not operate like the function block diagram FBD with networks, but rather with freely placeable elements. This allows feedback, for example"

The software includes a pretty neat sort of "VB'ish" visualization package that can supposedly be downloaded to some of the processors (which contain a web server) to allow access via standard browsers to the processor. I haven't had the hardware to test this out but hopefully will get it in the near future. Also, CANbus is standard on all of the processors.

Link to Moller XControl Info

In full disclosure, I work for a Moeller distributor ☯

VME is primarily a bus standard for computer systems. VERSAbus Microprocessor Equipment, or something like that.

Physically it used Eurocard-sized circuit boards (3U, 6U or 9U sized) and it had a card cage to hold these boards. You could have a microprocessor board, memory cards, I/O cards, additional processors etc from different manufacturers all sharing a common signalling and memory mapping convention. It's about 20-25 years old now, but incredibly versatile and successful in its field.

As well as the makes mentioned already, I know Texas Instruments had a VME-based PLC system, the 575, which was programmed using not computer languages but standard ladder with Tisoft. It used TI's own 505-series I/O (which surprise, surprise was single-height 3U Eurocard sized boards!) but could also accommodate other processors in the rack for things that PLCs typically weren't too good at : vision systems, high-speed motion and positioning control servo-systems etc

Unfortunately, this was in the days before IEC-61131 so forget the language compatibility for the 575. All in all a great piece of kit for its day.

regards

Ken M.

Control technicians are often required to read people's minds and predict the future. It's all in a day's work.
Yes We'd all be playing the stock Market, but that would be like shooting fish in a barrel. ;-)

A-B make VME versions of the 5/30, 5/40, and 5/80. With RSLogix5 these processors have excellent support of ladder and SFC. To get function blocks and structured text requires additional programming software (RSFrameworks, I think). No options for instruction list - if you've got all the rest, who needs IL?

VersaBus and VME were promoted by Motorola for systems based on their 68000 processors.

jdbrandt said:
LD = Ladder Logic Diagram
FBD = Function Block Diagram
SFC = Sequential Function Chart
ST = Statement List
IL = Instruction List

(and, oh, yea, ST = Structured Text) thanks, guest

SFC is not ideal for PLC.THERE is many variations combined with GRAFCET.
ONE variation is STL =STep Ladder programming