G307K2 replacing PV600+ on DH+ 5/04

VJTX

I have a system run by SLC5/04 with 4 PV600+ on DH+. I want to replace the PV's with G307K2's when the PV's fail. I don't think the G3 can talk DH+, what is the most economical way to go? Use a NET-ENI at the 5/04? Both types of hmi's will have to live together till eventually all are G3. Cabling is not an issue.

I would use a Digi One IAP instead of the NET-ENI to put the 5/04 serially on ethernet while keeping it around until the last DH+ Panelview is gone, then you could switch to a 5/05 or other ethernet controller and remove the IAPs from the network for future use.

The Net-ENI can limit the number of connections when you eventually have three G3s trying to get through the serial port, plus (potentially) RSLinx as a 4th, if there is much traffic, you will see slow downs at best. Also, I have found the Net-Eni to just plain freeze up when heavily loaded, requiring a power cycle. This did not happen after upgrading to the Digi.

Last edited:
wOULD THIS WORK...

if I replaced the hmi at the control panel first using serial df1 to 5/04, then could the other g3’s talk to each other over Ethernet?

Slc>>>G3.1/df1 serial
/Ethernet………………G3.2……………………..G3.3………………..G3.4

ITS A BIN LINE, so nothing real fast.

Yes, that approach will work. The 'master' HMI will use the DF1 serial driver. Sharing between HMIs is not crazy fast by my recollection and I'm not sure you want to move massive amounts of data this way, but sounds like it will work in your case.

Each of the 'slave' HMIs will use the OPC TCP/IP Master Driver. That will give each 'slave' HMI direct access to the 'master' HMI variables.

On slave HMIs, go to comms, create a new protocol, select 'OPC TCP/IP Master' as the driver. Now click on that new device: you'll see an entry for 'Device Address Space' that will allow you to select a .cd3 file from the 'master' Red Lion so you can share the variables between HMIs. Or if you've cleverly made both HMI's identical, you can use the same .cd3 file on all the Red Lions.

Now when you create a variable on the slave HMI, it will show up as a Data Source that you can select directly from the master HMI (like a PLC variable). This shares between Red Lions without further burdening the PLC. Slick.