DH+ to Ethernet.

Marc

I have some exisitng SLC 5/04s and DH+ Panelviews that we want to communicate with SLC 5/05s and ethernet panelview plus + a Delta V system. Anyone have any luck with this, is there a way to look into the DH+ network from an ethernet network? Are message instructions the only way?

I haven't done this before so I was looking for a little feedback.

As I understand them, those DH+ protocol converters that originate with DataLink in British Columbia all use the same mechanism for serial to DH+ conversion, so their Ethernet side is just serial tunneling, not real A-B EtherNet/IP messaging. You can use them to allow RSLinx to use a DF1 driver via a COM port redirector, but you couldn't use them to send a message from an SLC-5/04 to an SLC-5/05.

While the modules are expensive, the most functional way to build a bridge between DH+ and EtherNet/IP is to use a 1756-DHRIO module and a 1756-ENBT module in a ControlLogix 1756-series chassis. Even without a controller, these modules will allow you to build routing tables that allow controllers on both sides to message to one another, and allow access for RSI programming and visualization tools from the Ethernet side down onto the DH+ side.

As for DeltaV integration, you're on your own. I have always been greatly disappointed in the promise vs. reality of Emerson's ability to connect to anything else, especially Allen-Bradley networks.

We are using the 1756-DHRIO and ENBT as you indicate above to bridge Control Logix PLCs and HMI software (iFix and RS View SE) to get at about 50 PLC-5s talking DH+. It works well.

Thanks for the info, I figured that I would either have to replace the 5/04s w 5/05s or do the 1756-enet eweb /dhrio option. Does anyone know the pro/con of either method? Can a 3rd party (ie delta V) look directly at the data tables on DH+ through a clx gateway via ethernet or will I have to msg data to an ethernet processor and see the data there?

Sheldn said:
We are using the 1756-DHRIO and ENBT as you indicate above to bridge Control Logix PLCs and HMI software (iFix and RS View SE) to get at about 50 PLC-5s talking DH+. It works well.

We also do the same thing. We installed a 4-slot 1756 Rack with the DHRIO and ENBT cards - no processor needed - and it funcitons as a bridge between our DH+ and ENET controller networks. I strongly recommend you place a managed switch on the Ethernet.

Given the choice, I would go with upgrading to SLC 5/05s. You will get the same equipment throughout with out having to maintain / support a "special system". Although setup is easy, it just adds one more thing you may have to support for training, spares, setup etc...

Using the DH+/RIO card to get on the Ethernet might work for PLCs but it does not work for PanelView HMIs. I needed to talk to the SLC504 with a PV600 through the Logix gateway and it would not work. So we swapped out all the SLC504s for SLC505s and life was partly good again, ha ha. We did put in a managed switch with some fiber. Our next problem is the SLC505 cannot service all the MSG instructions and PV+s in a timely manner, it is very very very slow. So we will use the 1756 rack with a processor to manage all the data so the 505 can crunch ladder and not worry about all the ethernet packet bombs it has to process. Trying to grow from DH+ to ethernet has been a challenge.

Gateway Question

I have tried using a Panelview Plus with an ethernet and a DH+ card interface to bridge data between a compactlogix and two PLC5 controllers. I used a macro to do this but I had to slow down the update rate on the global connection update value to keep the macro from consuming all of the HMI resources. I am going to go with the gateway becasue I am concerned about the panelview and the macro, etc. I need to pass about 10 registers from four (currently only doing one with the panelivew) independent compact logix controllers to one PLC 5 controller and 2 registers from each compact logix to a second PLC 5 controller. As I understand it this probably is not enough traffic to cause a problem. I need this data to update about every 5 seconds. Does this seem like a plan that will work?

Ken Roach said:
As I understand them, those DH+ protocol converters that originate with DataLink in British Columbia all use the same mechanism for serial to DH+ conversion, so their Ethernet side is just serial tunneling, not real A-B EtherNet/IP messaging. You can use them to allow RSLinx to use a DF1 driver via a COM port redirector, but you couldn't use them to send a message from an SLC-5/04 to an SLC-5/05.

While the modules are expensive, the most functional way to build a bridge between DH+ and EtherNet/IP is to use a 1756-DHRIO module and a 1756-ENBT module in a ControlLogix 1756-series chassis. Even without a controller, these modules will allow you to build routing tables that allow controllers on both sides to message to one another, and allow access for RSI programming and visualization tools from the Ethernet side down onto the DH+ side.

As for DeltaV integration, you're on your own. I have always been greatly disappointed in the promise vs. reality of Emerson's ability to connect to anything else, especially Allen-Bradley networks.

Hi Ken,

I'm new to CLX, this is something new to me, I do not know the CLX module can work as bridge!

Can we bridge a controlnet (AB CLX) with a DHRIO module into KF2 to communicate with Honeywell DCS on serial?

CLX (CNET) ---- CNET+DHRIO(bridge) ---- KF2 ---- Honeywell DCS (TDC 3000).

Existing is PLC5 --- KF2 ---- Honeywell DCS (TDC3000).
We do not want to change anything on the KF2 & Honeywell, as DCS is beyond our job scope

So you want data from the cLX?
I hope you try to connect in AB DF1 with Honey DCS
will DCS accept & able to read data from CLx I afried DF1 in CLx is quite different from PLC& SLC

rPraveenkum said:
So you want data from the cLX?
I hope you try to connect in AB DF1 with Honey DCS
will DCS accept & able to read data from CLx I afried DF1 in CLx is quite different from PLC& SLC

Hi,

1) Yes, I want data from CLX to send to DCS

2) Currently the DCS is reading data from 1770-KF2 serial port (using all PLC5). But when convert the PLC5 to CLX, the network will be at CNET. So, I have no idea how to get the data back to DCS from CLX. I'm not sure if I put a DHRIO module in the CLX chassis and let the data flow thru the DHRIO into 1770-KF2 serial port to DCS. Not sure if this will work...:)

flyers said:
Hi,

1) Yes, I want data from CLX to send to DCS

2) Currently the DCS is reading data from 1770-KF2 serial port (using all PLC5). But when convert the PLC5 to CLX, the network will be at CNET. So, I have no idea how to get the data back to DCS from CLX. I'm not sure if I put a DHRIO module in the CLX chassis and let the data flow thru the DHRIO into 1770-KF2 serial port to DCS. Not sure if this will work...:)

You can use the Clx rs232 port using Map SLC/PLC messages in the Logic menu of RSL5K. It works same as KF2. no need for KF2 & DHRIO module in this optaion

We also do the same thing. We installed a 4-slot 1756 Rack with the DHRIO and ENBT cards - no processor needed - and it funcitons as a bridge between our DH+ and ENET controller networks. I strongly recommend you place a managed switch on the Ethernet.

is the dhrio module configured differently if you are not using processor, and is your dh+ network wired as trunk and drop or daisy chained

Last edited:
is the dhrio module configured differently if you are not using processor

No its the same, the only setting on the DHRIO is address and DH+ or RIO... you can leave the gateway as default unless you need to use it

and is your dh+ network wired as trunk and drop or daisy chained

Either way as long as you are plugged in the DH+ network then will show up in your Ethernet