Pick Lights

averellen

Looking for a suggestion....
I have 15 pick Lights to pick a certain part based on a barcode scan, and don't want to use 15 outputs.
What could I use to min the number of outputs I need to use.

Thanks
Adam

I could be done with 4 outputs and 4 relays. Of course you would need 1 - SPDT relay, 1 - DPDT relay, 1- 4PDT relay, and 1- 8PDT relay. It would also be a lot of wiring and a mess to debug.

To elaborate a little, only one light at a time would be on. And I am using a SLC5/05 if it matters to anyone.

At around $300 for a 16 point SLC output module, is it worth your time trying to make this work without using 16 outputs?

You know what.... I think I will just do that buy another output module. Its just going to be too much of a pain for a 300 dollar item.

Thanks for all your input.
Adam

I agree with Marc, if only one light is on at a time, why introduce more components to the system? If you use a PLC, my theory is "let the PLC do everything it can" within good design principles. Lights and other luxuries should be short and sweet to operate. Besides, it's easier to troubleshoot when you go to the PLC.

Privately I lean the alternatives. Some set of instructions, they possess functions for multiplexation, of codification and similiar

Possibilities you validate for Inputs or outputs.
Multiplex: Binary combinations of entrances (select), directs a signal of an inputs for outputs.(16 I have 1 line -Chip 74150)
Demultiplex: Binary combinations of entrances, selects them left it activate. (4 to 16 line Chip 74154)
Matrix of diodes: Lives simple, equals Multiplex.

They can be gotten on boards eletronics, with chips above it maintenance stayed facilitated, always supplies additional boards, of quick change It finds the quick problem, therefore OFF 16 points, and no sometime one or other. Exists modules industrial MUX DEMUX analogic, but digital do not I know.

Already I worked in a company that he mounted, an extra panel only with expansion (60 machines X 5 buttons) 300 Inputs.Buttons, this for initiate, finalize the cycles from the machines.That maintained with projects "bigs" did not I remain, therefore is opponent to my philosophy of automation.