Ab slc500

racear2865

Great Good morning
I am new to this so please forgive for any mistakes. I have an older machine that my Dad had in his shop when he untimely passed away. It is powered by a Allen Bradley SLC500 model # 1747-L20c. I finally found all the manuals and one cd with a program on it. I was able to get a friend to print out the rungs but no annotation. My problem is that I was able to get the machine to run until this morning. I am getting a Comm error (STS)---SLC Error code :10H. The cpu is showing a blinking fault led. I do not have RS Logix 500 but I have ordered a hand held programmer 1747-PT1. I do not know how to reset the fault. Hopefully some one can help me here.
racear

Apparently the SLC ladder program has been swapped to a different Revision level that is not compatible with the CPU revision level. Here is the "10 h" Error Code definition:
SLC Controller Major Error Codes
Code (Hex) Description
0010 The processor does not meet the required revision level. This non-user error occurs when going to run.

The revision level of the processor is not compatible with the revision level for which the program was developed.
RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software

You can reset a Major Error Fault from within the RSLogix 500 software. There should be a way to reset faults with the Hand-Held Termianal. I am searching the HHT User Manual now.

The HHT uses Function Keys that are re-defined at each sub-menu level. I think the "Clear Processor" (CLR_PROC) command is what you need. Using the HHT, that would be this series of function keys: F5-Utility, F1-Online, F3-Attach, F5-Clr_Proc.

Also, if you go to the display of the Status (S2) file, you can clear a fault this way:

C
Word S2:6. Fault code. Clear the code at this display by setting S2:6 to
0. Press the
[F1], "ADDRESS", type in the address of the fault code, press
[ENTER], type 0, press [ENTER].
If you ZIPped your program and posted it here, someone probably could do some analysis to figure out how it works, and what the Comm settings should be.

Last edited:
The machine has been running well for a few months. I powered it up early this week and this was the message I got on the screen that is on the machine that is used to tell the machine what to run. Have made no changes to the machine. Nothing is hooked to the machine except the furnished screen and it says Comm error. When I opened the door was when I noticed the blinking fault for the CPU
I take it for granted that I can do nothing until I get a hand held.
racear

Nothing is hooked to the machine except the furnished screen and it says Comm error.
Perhaps the comm cable from the screen to PLC has worked loose, or been knocked loose accidently. That might give you a bogus error message. Try re-seating the cable on both ends.
...I noticed the blinking fault for the CPU
Which is the LED labeled (that is blinking) and what color is it blinking?

A CPU Major Fault is indicated by the Power LED ON, and the Fault LED going solid ON or blinking. A blinking COM LED is nothing to worry about. It does not mean a fault.

SLC 5-02 Faults.jpg

Last edited:
Notice that if your Fault LED is blinking, one cause of this Fault can be erratic, repetitive power cycling of the SLC.

Your SLC battery may be weak, and if there is a program inside, then I would try to recover it before it is lost due to weak battery. The SLCs also have a capacitor that should be good for 30 days or so after the battery dies. You can replace the battery with a new one, but try to recover the program before you remove the old battery.

Last edited:
First--I want to thank you for replying. The cpu has three red led 1st is power--it is on. 2nd is pc run--it is off. 3rd is cpu fault--it is red blinking. There is a Spectrum controls SQI hooked into the 485 port. It seems to be working ok as I can continue to put in data but no talking to cpu (apparently). I checked that comm cable and it is firmly attached both to the Spectrum Control and the 485 card. What I know about a AB plc u can put in a thimble and it may cover the bottom of the thimble. I am a mech engineer but have been retired since early 2000 and have never worked with a AB- only used Fanuc but havent touched anything since 2000 so I am sorry. Bernice says I am just dumb not stupid---yet
reed

I can continue to put in data but no talking to cpu (apparently).
Probably that is because of the Fault mode. Once the CPU goes into Fault mode, it no longer RUNS the program inside, so there is no interaction or communication with any outside device, including your Spectrum SQI. You will have to reset the fault, either by using a Handheld terminal (difficult to use) or getting a copy of RSLogix 500. There is a free version, but it only works with the MicroLogix 1000 and a few other MLs.

If you know someone with a copy of RSLogix 500 and a laptop, they might agree to come over and reset your fault. If you do get someone to help, ask them to first make a copy of the program inside the SLC.

There is a procedure to clear a fault by completely clearing the SLC memory (remove battery and discharge the capacitor by shorting 2 terminals). But that also clears out any program in memory (which right now I don't think you are ready to do). If you clear the operating program, then your SLC will do nothing until a new program is loaded. There is no guarantee that the old program you found on the CD is the same one inside the SLC.

Notice that if your SLC battery is 10+ years old, your program may eventually get cleared out anyway!

Last edited:
I have been reading all week. Have called every place here close by and found no one that has the software. Found 2 people that had the Micro Logix. Called all my old people and none of them have it either. Looks as though I will have to try the hand held when it arrives. I just downloaded the hand held software. At my age my brain want hold much more ****. It operated on FIFO and more is going out than coming in. I have removed the cable completely and re-hooked. No better. Will the AB retain the program if it faults. I am worried about the program I have on cd. It looks as though my dad made a copy as this is not the original and since I cant look at it--well.
racear

Will the AB retain the program if it faults?
Yes, as long as the small 2.5 volt battery, OR the capacitor, has enough power to keep the RAM memory live. Actually that part does not depend on there being a fault condition, or not. The program storage is still the same, and it depends on the memory having some power to stay alive.

Is your "Battery Low" indicator LED ON or OFF?

There is a EEPROM memory module that can be used to store SLC programs on some SLCs, that is not dependent on the battery. But I don't think that the SLC 5/02 even had an EEPROM socket.

Last edited:
Lancie

I am only 1 hour from Chattanooga. I live just outside of Murfreesboro. Florence is just a skip and jump from here.

is that just a USB to Serial or is it special. If I go with that cable will I still need RSLogix500 or ?? so that I can talk with the processor.

You live in Florence. I used to drag race down that way some

And you are correct my laptop does not have serial port. but I do have a usb to serial adapter some place

Last edited: