S7-1200

The best computer tip I can give you is to not rely on an operating system past it's effective useful life like XP. Microsoft no longer supports it, and vendors are no longer testing against it.

If you have a couple tools that require it, then keep a virtual machine of XP, but use something else for your main operating system.

Can't say I agree completely with the 'upgrade your Windows' sentiment. Win XP and Vista still have over 25% of the market and I would guess that the percentage will be higher for machines used in Industry. I don't mind if I install at my own risk but Siemens TIA 13 just doesn't allow you to install on anything less than Windows 7. TIA Portal V10.5 and V11 allowed an XP install, so why the hell not on V13. My feeling is that if Siemens say 'No' then you move to another brand of PLC, it is the only form of protest we have.

Just have to hope that Windows 9 is better than 7, 8 and 8.1.

I rather have that they put effort into getting software to run on "modern" OS. W7 was introduced 5 years ago, the economic life time of a PC is, what 3 years if I remember correctly? I do not know who the 25% of people using XP are, but W7 is proven to work quite well for most applications, I was skeptical to transit, but I am happy with how it performs.

Not sure what I am trying to say, lol. It is good to hang on to a proven concept, but there is a time to transit to a modern platform. End of support, limits on RAM, 32/64 bit and so on give even more reason to change.