DINT description in logix 5000

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
[FONT=&quot]In logix 5000 the TAG page will let me add a description to each bit of a DINT. However, in the ladder logic, when the bit is specified, my description doesn’t show up. Does anyone know how to get the DINT bit description printed in the ladder diagram?[/FONT]

Bit level is used because i am old. I was programming PCs that i built myself in the 1970's and just can't give up the habit of conserving memory. I see all these DINTs and just think - cool - 32 bits per.

Nothing in the DINT level descriptor. Description still doesn't show in code. I tried changing display style to binary - still no descriptions.

Yes. I too can put the a or b into the description field. It is just that the a and b dont' show up when I switch to the ladder code. Only the tag "integer.0" or "integer.1" would show.

Clearly, you see the a & b as a description just fine. Not me. Why am I special. Logix Ver is 21.03

At the top of the ladder window there is a toggle button that hides all comments and then can turn them back on again.

Make sure you check that if Luke_Mages suggestion doesn't pan out.

OG

About conserving memory: This is a modern PLC and it has lots of memory. What you don't use is not really conserved, the memory chips are still there. Its not a multi-user system and memory is not dynamically allocted to tasks. You may as well use it and make life easier on yourself.

Slight side track: You might be interested in something called a bit overlay. This is advanced programming. Bit overlays cannot be created in RSLogix, they have to be created in XML and imported so it is not for the average PLC guy. The bit overlay lets you give a bit in a DINT a name. This isn't a comment, its a name that you can use just like you use Timer.ACC.DN where DN is a named bit. I've covered the topic on the forum a few times, do a search on my username and "bit overlay."

Last edited: