STEP7 Install...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I am trying to install STEP7 on my new(er) Toshiba Satellite 3000 laptop. It had worked fine on my old one (which is now totally dead), and currently works on my desktop (all are running Win98SE). I have to make a quick program change on a CPU314 tomorrow, but can't get the software working. I have V4.01 software. Yes, I know it's old, but I don't do much Siemens work anymore.

Actually, everything installed fine, but when I run it, I get the dreaded "Can't find certain files" error. The files it's trying to load are .DLLs that DO EXIST in the C:\Siemens\Common\Sqlany folder, yet it can't locate them.

I immediately suspect a "PATH" problem, but the SET PATH= statements that were added to Autoexec.bat are correct, and identical to the ones on my desktop PC (which runs the software fine).

Has anyone had similar problems that can offer any ideas?... :confused:

beerchug

-Eric

I temporarily worked around the PATH problems by copying the contents of the Sqlany folder to the S7bin folder. Works fine now. I don't have time right now to find the REAL cause, but if anyone can shed some light on this, I'd still like to know... :nodi:

One more quick (and easy) question before I make a mess tomorrow... utoh

What are the Siemens conventions regarding upload and download. Is "Upload Station" FROM the PLC and "Download" TO the PLC? Or is it the other way around? I'd really hate to find out the hard way!... :eek:

beerchug

-Eric

I did not see any comment about the windows you are using But if it is XP or 2000 I have solved some problem like this with old Siemens software through the XP compatibility mode for the setup program.

Regarding the Upload problem just beware that the comments can not be Uploaded to PC, Unless they have been saved on the memory cards (Normally nobody does this) if so uploading would be with the memory cards manipulation commands on the software.

Last edited:
Thank you Jean Pierre. I figured that was correct, but you can never be too sure!... :D

Prince, I'm using Windows 98 Second Edition. I don't trust those newfangled Windows just yet... ;)

I know not to expect comments (and I didn't know you could save them in an S7). We added an inspection system to one machine a few years back, and made a minor program change. Now we're installing another inspection system on a second, identical machine, so it needs the same program modifications.

I'm a bit out of practice when it comes to Siemens, but I don't expect too many difficulties...
3.gif

beerchug

-Eric

I Got a Reprieve...

All that panicking this morning for nothing. The customer decided that they need to run production, so we can't have access to the machine today. Oh well, at least I got the software installed... ;)

Thanks again for the quick response!... :site:

beerchug

-Eric

Update...

I finally got down to the customer today. No luck getting online with the processor... :(

I'm pretty sure it didn't like my use of USB to serial adapter instead of a REAL serial port... :confused:

In any case, we got all the hardware installed, and I made all the I/O connections, so all that's left is the program change. I left a copy of the required changes with them, and they're going to have someone else do the programming.

Does Siemens sell a USB adapter that will plug directly into the processor? If so, I may look into purchasing one for the future. That is, if I don't just break down and buy a new laptop WITH a serial port... :rolleyes:

beerchug

-Eric

Eric if you THINK you may do much S7 programming in the future you may want to contact me. I may have an alternative that would be acceptable.

Re: Update...

Eric Nelson said:

Does Siemens sell a USB adapter that will plug directly into the processor? If so, I may look into purchasing one for the future.

Yes they do, Eric.

Ron quoted the part number in a previous thread, one that you were also involved in! :rolleyes:

Here's the part number again, just for you.....

6ES7 972-0CB20-0XA0

Paul

Re: Re: Update...

PLucas said:

Here's the part number again, just for you.....

6ES7 972-0CB20-0XA0

Paul
Do you specifically need the above part to connect S7 MPI or S5 TTY lead to the USB port on a laptop or will a bog standard USB to RS232 lead which you can buy for 10 quid on ebay do the job?

Steveo

Re: Re: Re: Update...

Rack Failure said:
Do you specifically need the above part to connect S7 MPI or S5 TTY lead to the USB port on a laptop or will a bog standard USB to RS232 lead which you can buy for 10 quid on ebay do the job?

Good question, well presented, but......

The part number I quoted is for the USB to MPI/Profibus connection, so I would imagine that it contains a converter of some description, much the same as a PCI MPI/Profibus card you would fit in your PC. So the answer to your question regarding the RS232 lead has to be no.

I have no need for one of these converters or for that matter a CP card because I use Siemens PG's for programing S5's and S7's, so the MPI/Profibus and TTY ports are built in. Hence my knowledge of the available cards and devices for programing Siemens PLC's is very limited

Paul

The S7's use an mpi/profibus adapter to connect to a PC....the cable itself is a standard serial cable but the adapters....as Paul said....have electronics for the connection. No a USB to serial adapter will not work directly BUT if you have a serial type MPI/Profibus adapter for the S7 then it may work with a USB to serial adapter. I have done this and connected to S7-300's.

I am not as familiar with the S5 but I do know they have to have a TTY converter to connect....that may work thru a USB to serial port adapter.

Almost 2 years ago I went thru hoops getting Simatic S7 and AB RSLogix to work with a Compaq laptop with XP and no serial port. I had a CP5511 that I used with my old IBM laptop but it would not work with the XP system. I lost the adapter that connected to the CP5511 card so purchased a new CP5512 card....alas my version of Simatic S7 didnt support the 5512 but I did get it to work as a 5511. I recently found that adapter....now I have 2 Siemens CP cards and adapters. I dont get to work with Siemens much these days tho.

FYI I think to use Simatic S7 on XP you need version 5.2 or above and the CP5512 does not come with driver disks like the 5511, its suppose to be already in 5.2 or above. I am not saying that other versions wont work on XP, its just that Siemens did not release a supported version till 5.2. I am not sure about S7-200 software and XP.

rsdoran said:

FYI I think to use Simatic S7 on XP you need version 5.2 or above.. snip... I am not saying that other versions wont work on XP, its just that Siemens did not release a supported version till 5.2. I am not sure about S7-200 software and XP.

That is true Ron,

According to Siemens only Step 7 V5.2 or above work with XP. On my PG's at work, I use V5.2 running Windows 98. At home I use V5.1.3 running XP, this version runs fine on XP, although I don't use it to connect to PLC's, I just use it to edit projects at home. So I can't tell you whether it is fully operational. I also have Step 7/micro win V3.02 installed at home, but, again I only use it for editing.

Paul