HP-HMI's

DBLD99

I have sat through a few webinars about High Performance HMI's. Our customers have been asking how we would implement them. I like the concept, but have not found anyone in the QA's of those to answer a simple question. Most HP-HMI examples all show process control with a lot of analog values. What if all you do is discrete conveyor control?

They say not to use P&ID for overviews as P&ID's are not HMI's. I believe P&ID are the only way to show a network of conveyors.

My question is has anyone done an HP-HMI with only discrete status or ideas on how HP-HMI would translate to discrete status.

Thanks

The High Performance HMI concept covers a lot of ground, as for discrete it's easier than analogs it is less you need to consider.

1 - Color scheme, greyscale use color to grap someone's attention (alarms, out-of-tolerance conditions...etc).

2 - Navigation, this is where you get away from P&IDS. For conveyors if you have a network, make a logical flow:

Level 1 ---- Overview key KPIs------
Level 2 --- Conveyor 1, Conveyor 2, Conveyor 3------
Level 3 --- Conveyor 1 detail ----------------
Level 3 --- Conveyor 2 detail ----------------
Level 3 --- Conveyor 3 detail ----------------

3. Discrete, well then you just need to worry about colors. White (active)/Grey (inactive), add alarming for those discretes in color w/priority

If you haven't read the "High Performance Hand Book" I'd highly recommend it. I'm pushing design away from the P&ID layout, but it is not a secondary screen as I'll cause all hell if I don't include it. But I've done a lot to improve navigation and emphasis on trending and critical process information.

So on Level 1 would the KPI's be the status of all conveyors for a typical line? i.e. Overall Transfer for Line 1 Running, Faulted, Warning, how many alarms exist with that line. It would be boxes or rectangles showing the different status per line.

One of the webinars was with PAS and they obviously recommended the book "High Performance Hand Book." Will have to check it out.

Thanks,