Export PLC5, translate, Import into 5000

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Trying to bring a PLC5 program into 5000, Following the instructions but the translate dialog keeps looking for a TXT file. The only TXT file is generated when I export the PLC5 to AB 6200. But even that doesn't satisfy the translator. Still looking for a TXT file.

What is the proper sequence? I can copy/paste the rungs of course, but I want the Database Comments and Descriptions as well.

Don't waste your time. It's easier to rewrite it. Conversion is 75% accurate at best

+1

Every time ive ran a program through the utility, the results were garbage.

There's a few machines here that have had their PLC-5 programs converted this way, and every technician hates them. The way the utility converts the PLC-5 tag addresses to CLX tags just ends up making it much harder to read than the original.

Rewrite the code. Dont take that new Ferrari and stick a Pinto motor in it. 🍻

Well, I've got to agree...
I got it in with the translate (thank you all) and it will be as much work to fix and clean up as to write over again. Even cwal61's technique (very nice BTW) is just as much work.

I suppose if it had many thousands of rungs I would reconsider but this only has about 700. That's a couple days of straightforward work. And its the part I enjoy so off I go.

Thanks for the assist folks.

Well, I've got to agree...
I got it in with the translate (thank you all) and it will be as much work to fix and clean up as to write over again. Even cwal61's technique (very nice BTW) is just as much work.

I suppose if it had many thousands of rungs I would reconsider but this only has about 700. That's a couple days of straightforward work. And its the part I enjoy so off I go.

Thanks for the assist folks.

I think you and anyone else that has to troubleshoot will be happier with a rewrite than a conversion. I think you made the right decision.