Rs232 device TO rs232 multidrop

alebeaum1

I have a printer with an old rs-232 multi drop protocol who died recently. The system is old and there is no way to change the protocol for ethernet or usb. Can't find any printer too. So basically I need to take a new printer with Rs232 and make it work with a rs232 multi drop system. Is there any interface or device to achieve this ?
THX
Alex

🍻

More information needed

Specifically
the Old Printer Model number
the Protocol on the RS232
What is the master on the RS232 multidrop?

Note: RS232 Multi drop is not normal - RS485 RS422 are what I expect to see in a multidrop situation

Absolute Worst Case you will have to get someone to write a Protocol converter to convert the RS232 multidrop to something useful

RS-232 is point-to-point. Therefore, devices designed for 232 rarely have the capability to be 'addressed', since in point-to-point there's only the device at the other end of the line to talk to.

Are you sure the printer isn't RS-422, which is multidrop?

RS232 can be multidrop if the end devices are 'listen only'

Another method, not 'multidrop' is 'daisy-chain'. The transmit from the originator goes to the receive of the first device which echoes it out its own transmit and so on through all the devices then back to the originator. Messages contain an address for the specific intended device. Animatics motors use this as one of their communication methods.

a multidrop only means it has a pull up or down resistor and a transistor, instead of a common totempole. an input device like a printer needs onlyinput connected (2 or 3) so buy a rs232 printer and you will be fine.
my first network was rs232 witha small reedrelais on the transmit. it was inside connector and controlled by CTS

RS232 (as well as RS485 and RS422) isn’t a protocol it is a communications standard for serial communications. When originally defined RS232 was used for full duplex (hence the separate transmit and receive lines) however communications protocols over time were developed to utilize RS232 that were half duplex protocols. Allen Bradley’s DF1 protocol is a good case in point. You can configure a channel “0” port to be a DF1 half duplex device using it with RS232. What alebeam1 needs to do is find out what protocol the printer used (probably an ASCII protocol) and see if there are still printers available that will use that protocol.