Pico / DirectLogic

Rod

I've used the Pico 1760 and dislike the 'inverted' logic with timers.
What do you think of the DirectLogic plc instead ( more timers and more I/O) worthy?

Rod,

I love this argument. Let me re-phrase that; discuessiion.

Dollar for Dollar it is my personal opinion that the Pico is a poor value when compaired to the smaller direct logic units.

Here's my usual standard response copied from another thread:

The Automation Direct DL06 is a very powerfull and versitile PLC. It is my opinoin due to the many features and low cost, that this would be the best unit to start with; and it may be the only PLC you'll ever need. This PLC has a huge instruction set, gobs of memory, and very easy to learn. For an HVAC application you may want a clock/calander which the DL06 has.

Link for DL06 models: http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ic_06/PLC_Units

Link for DirectSoft programming software:http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ic_06/PLC_Units

Link for programming cable kit: http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...nsion/FA-CABKIT

You can download the manual here: http://www.automationdirect.com/sta.../d006userm.html

But I prefer the hard copy here: http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ion/D0-06USER-M

I would recomend the DL06-DR. 24vdc inputs, and relay contact outputs. You can also get a small LCD panel that slides onto the front of the PLC.

Have fun! Mike

P.S. I dont work for AD but I'm sure some people dont believe that...

pico VS lpo6

Mike,
Thanks! The '06' has a ladder more like real machine controls, IE the Fanuc 10,11, 21 ETC.

So I would prefer that. Any 'gotchas' on this puppy?

Gotchyas??? I just started using them in the field so I dont know yet.... So far I'm very impressed. These are great for big and small jobs, but not really big jobs. Well maybe really big jobs, because you can network them via the 2nd port.

Re: pico VS lpo6

Rod said:
The '06' has a ladder more like real machine controls

That's because it IS a "real machine control". The Pico is not a PLC, it's a 'programmable relay'. It still has its uses though.

As far as 'gotchas' go, I think the Pico has more than the DLxx (i.e. "I need another timer"... "GOTCHA!")... :p

beerchug

-Eric

I have to agree with Mike and Eric.

Dollar for dollar, the DL06 is a better buy. The smart relays have their own place in the automation world, but it is still a very small niche area.

A pico is a pico is a pico. However, a pico on the outside is still a Moeller "easy" on the inside. Best base price on the basic Moeller's I've seen is around $115 wit the display, and $85-95 with out the display. I don't know what A-B gets, but I could see well over $200 as several others are selling their repackaged "easy's" for $175-225.

I have had customers that wanted a rack system. So they got one with three slots being used, CPU, Input card, Output card. Actualy, one of Fanuc's 8-Input/8-Output combo cards would have had several extra I/O. The customer is always.......................

regards....casey

Last edited:
Thanks!
An Easy 619 and a 618 expansion will come short of the L06 in outputs and still cost more!
I guess I'll drive the Porshe911 (L06) to buy a gallon of milk - dang waste of ponys though.

Plus the L06 has leds! Customer has to have those winky bits to prove he spent his money correctly.

Rod

Last edited:
Rod,

The funny thing here is that the Porche is cheaper, and a lot more fun to drive then the family wagon. So when you pull into the local 7-11 to get your milk, everybody will be gogeling your hot car. Besides if your wife calls and asks you to pick up some ice cream, you'll be sure to get it home before it melts. (always leave room for expansion).

Did a couple of service calls in a red 911. The established customers didn't mind, the new ones were quaking in their boots :)

All I need for this thing is a simple relay stack with a circular timer - fire #1, wait 1 sec, fire #2, repeat till fire#
N then wait a minute or so and repeat.

I don't need the bells and whistles - just has to be an 'off the shelf' item. A 555 timer and some SSR relays would work fine.
but then by the time I package and document and .... I've bought the Porsche!

Got enough pain selling PC based retrofits for punch presses.

Was hired once for repair of police radios and base stations in the ritzy North Suburbs of Chicago. Service van was a Monte Carlo, as you can't drive a van on boulevards, Lake Shore Drive, etc. Not much room for equipment or parts.

So, how are PC retrofits selling in your area.

Around here, Central and North Central Illinois. capital projects died a few years ago. This area wasn't big on PC Control, PLC retros develop interest, but no one has any budget.

casey

Keith,

We are based in Arlington,Tx. I just OEM the software (Punch Wizard).

It was slow for awhile, now 5 in one month. We have installations from New Yawk to Mexico and the Virgin Islands.

Goto PCcontrols.net or http://www.altparts.com/punch_press_controls.htm or Advanced machine.com - they do the grunt work as distributors/service dudes.

I just did a web search for Punch Wizard found some.

Last one I installed was for Godan de Mexico in Nuevo Laredo.

Now I just do independent field service on anything with a CNC and some 'dumb' machines. Got a laser that needs repair? Or a cylinder to be rebuilt?

Rod

Last edited: