Logix 5000 On Windows 7 Error

shoelesscraig

I'm sure someone else has seen this. I have a laptop at my job with Windows 7 Enterprise edition. I just received my new Logix 5000 software. As soon as I click setup.exe I get an error saying its not compatible with Windows Vista...but like I said...I have Win 7.

What's the deal?

Maybe there is a technote on how to make your PC a liar for a little bit to get past installation...

On a different topic, I wanna say I read about a windows environment variable that can be changed to get around this type of issue, so the PC will report whatever you want it to as the OS, but I have not done it and don't recall the details.

Which exact version of RSLogix 5000 are you trying to install ?

The installer is probably mis-identifying Windows 7 Enterprise Edition, since the principal Edition that RA tests against is Windows 7 Professional.

RA Tech Support can probably tell you how to do a workaround.

Well, I need to install RSLogix 5000 V12-V20.01. Also plan on installing Studio 5000 up to V21.03. If all that goes well, will install Factory Talk View Studio ME V8.0 and Logix 500 V9.

I am using v19, 20, and 21 on a laptop running Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise Edition. Most likely you are using a version of the software that is older and it does not know about Windows 7. It is incorrectly interpreting it as Vista.

Can you verify for us what version of software you are trying to install? It may be new to you, but I am guessing it is not actually the newest version.

OG

So read up on version 21.03 before you install it. I have chosen to stick with 21.00.03 myself. Same goes for version 20.03.

Rockwell officially supported Windows 7 starting with version 19. But they state that with some changes to Windows, versions back to v13 should work. Version 12 does not work in 64-bit versions of Windows.

There is a Tech Note that describes what changes need to be made to Windows to allow these older version to work in Windows 7. It is primarily related to disabling UAC and the AERO interface.

The Technote is available to everyone at:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/67020

There is a PDF at the bottom that you will want to read.

OG

Nope...they are the absolute current versions as of last week. Brand new, been in the building for less than 3 hours now...

I figured it out. You have to right-click the setup.exe file and change the compatibility mode. Mine was set to Vista by default...not sure why.

Be sure you understand what it means to install v20.03/v21.03.

EDIT - I miss read Operaghost's post, so I'm being redundant...