FactoryTalk--Remote Display takes +/- 45s

ttaylor2120

I am trying to use my PLC program to remotely change displays on my Panel view.

Technically it works, but it takes about 45 seconds to change the display and another 45s to let me use goto buttons in the HMI application. If i try to change the display after remotely changing it i get a error and it tells me the screen is still being controlled remotely. In the past when i saw this error it was due to not resetting my HMI screen tag to zero after commanding it to a screen. I have verified that i am resetting this value 1.5s after issuing any screen commands.

I am using a move command to move a screen value into a dint whose tag is tied to the global connections of my factory talk program. All of my indicators that come from the plc show up virtually instantly upon state change.

The Project file for both PLC and HMI are duplicates of an existing and functioning program. I will note that i am using a different plc than the previous system. Current:1769-L36ERM Compact Logix 5336ERM vs Old: 1756-L72 Control Logix 5572. Both are using RSLogix 5000 Verson 20.11 and factory talk view studio version 6.10.

I suppose my question is: What could be causing such a long delay before & after switching the screens remotely?

Thanks in advance,

T. Taylor

After you trigger the screen change from the PLC can you immediately change the screen at the terminal or is it locked out?

What is the update rate configured for on the Global Connections window? Keep in mind that the one setting applies to all of the tabs. I've seen people change the time to 60 seconds, not realizing that affects the other global settings.

OG

If you use a GoTo button to change displays, how long does that take?

Definitely check the Global Connections update rate as operaghost said. The default setting used to be 60 seconds (or still is depending on your version).

If you are using HMI tags change those to Direct Reference (help files talk more about that). HMI tags are twice as slow as Direct Reference.
Ex. if your update rate is 10 seconds then an HMI tag will actually take 20 seconds to update.

You can improve the timing when the RemoteDisplay tag is cleared to zero by adding a startup macro to each display.
Create a macro called "startup" and put in the below expression. Assign that macro to the startup macro for each display (display settings).
yourRemoteDisplayControlTag = 0

Using the PLC with a 1.5s timer to clear is probably okay. But you may run into timing problems now, or in the future if PLC/network/PanelView loading changes.
The startup macro will ensure that the PanelView does not miss the remote display change, and the tag is cleared to zero after the PanelView has detected the change.