Studio 5000 send stop command to PLC

taylor1982

Hello!
Is there a possiblity to bring the PLC from run to stop with software code?
In a special situation my machine should go to in stop mode.

Thanks!

Most PLC's have a Stop command that can be executed conditionally, ie if the PLC detects your special situation.

I've never tried it, but I recall reading from some research that the Ethernet/IP protocol has a stop command that can be sent to the PLC as well. I'm not sure if this has been fixed, or if it is considered a "feature" instead of a "vulnerability".

http://www.digitalbond.com/tools/basecamp/rockwell-automation-controllogix/

Mods, I know discussion of license cracking is frowned upon. If hacking falls into that category as well, my apologies.

Thanks for your answer. I´m not sure if this is the right application. As I understand what you explained works only over EIP.
I have to bring the PLC in stop mode depending on my software.
As you wrote there are software commands for other PLC brands. Is something similar available for the ControlLogix?

Why do you need the program to stop? I'm having trouble getting past this point.

You could have all of your programs in subroutines and just stop jumping into all of those subroutines on what every your fault condition was.

You could just fault the processor (try to do an indirect read from an address outside of the limits of an array)array.

I have never used a fault routine but there is that option.

The machine we are producing has some options. The software should be the same for all options. We want to configure the software with bits (option x ordered/present or not).
These configuration bits come from an interface to an PC. If the customer changes this bits (unintended or not) it can cause machine damage.
So I want to compare the previous machine configuration from commissioning with the actual bits from the interface. If there are differences the best way in my opinion is to stop the controller to prevent the machine from damage.

Thanks
Steve

To the best of my knowledge the Logix platform does not have a command to programmatically put the plc into stop mode. However, using the SSV instruction you can inhibit selected tasks.

tspisak listed two other viable alternatives. The fault idea isn't too bad.

Keith

The machine we are producing has some options. The software should be the same for all options. We want to configure the software with bits (option x ordered/present or not).
These configuration bits come from an interface to an PC. If the customer changes this bits (unintended or not) it can cause machine damage.
So I want to compare the previous machine configuration from commissioning with the actual bits from the interface. If there are differences the best way in my opinion is to stop the controller to prevent the machine from damage.

Putting the PLC into stop is usually pretty drastic step, because you can't recover from it without intervention. Once the PLC is stopped, the program stops executing, so it can't start back up again. Depending on the platform, once stopped, the PLC might need the switch flipped again, a power cycle, or a programmer to go in with the software to restart it.

Typically, I see the method tspisak mentioned, where you just don't execute the code you don't want run. This allows the PLC to decide that the error condition is gone, and it can resume operation. However, if your intention is to essentially force a service call because the machine is in a state where it could damage itself, forcing a Stop might really make sense.

If you haven't already done this, it might make sense (if you can) to give some kind of encryption/password protection to the part of the code that checks to see if the machine commissioning is valid. If the users are going in and fiddling, they could just as easily go in and delete the code that disables the machine, unless it is protected.

To the best of my knowledge the Logix platform does not have a command to programmatically put the plc into stop mode. However, using the SSV instruction you can inhibit selected tasks.

Hmm, I didn't realize Logix didn't have a Stop instruction. Thanks, it's good to know.