Where to study

joker1129

Hi,

We are a couple of guys from Denmark studying engineering. In spring 2015, we have the opportunity to study a semester abroad. We have some experience in RsLogix5000 (ladder, SFC, ST) as we have been training with this for about a year.
We would like to study some more in automation and controls and are currently looking towards CSUN, as we would like to combine or study abroad experience with some sun.
Could anyone of you make better recommendations towards what we should do?

Hi Joker,

What level of education are you looking at?
Have you considered doing an internship?

We are on our senior year, bachelor of technology management and marine engineering. The semester we can study abroad is a semester were we can choose what to specialize in and I would like something in automation, process and controls.
We can do a three-month internship on our last semester after our “special” semester and I will try to find a place that fits my “special”.
But first I hope to find at great place to study abroad :)

If you want to learn Allen-Bradley (RSLogix5000), by all means go for an internship in the USA.

If you want to learn a PLC that you are most likely to work with in Europe, then find a company that uses Siemens PLCs.

Process control (oil&gas, utilities, power) then you should aim for a company that uses Honeywell, ABB, Emerson. DCS systems are well established for those large process industries.

Try finding industry reports from ARC or IHS on the automation and process markets. You won't be able to get the whole report, but you should be able to find summaries or commentaries that would tell you what the top companies are for technology vendors.