maximum distance from pump control panel to level switch

Charbel

Dear,

I am using in a pump control panel a relay connected to a high level switch that will stop the pump in case of high level in the receiving tank.

from the attached datasheet i can depict that the current needed for the level switch would be 0.08A at 240 VAC.
And considering an allowable 3% drop in voltage and for 1.5mm2 cable size, i got a value of 5118 meter which is 2559meter of cables run.

i really appreciate if you have any concern concerning the above. Any special requirements for the relay?

thank you!

Charbel

Dear Eric,

yes, true, i was considering in the calculation the maximum current that can be withdrawn.

thank you!

Charbel

yes, true, i was considering in the calculation the maximum current that can be withdrawn.
0.08 Amps does not seem to be enough to energize a pump motor starter. Check the pull-in or inrush current for whatever device (contactor coil, relay, PLC Input) is connected to the 0.08-maximum level switch.

Dear lancie,

thank you for your reply, please see attached, the inrush power is 200 VA which is around 0.909 A at 220VAC, shall i take this value in my calculation considering that the maximum current that the level can whitstant is 0.08A.

thank you for your valuable advice,

Last edited:
Lancie is correct. You don't want that switch directly controlling your contactor. Even the holding current is at the limit of the switch's capacity. Have the switch energize a small interposing relay, and let that relay control your contactor.

🍻

-Eric

please find attached the selected interposing relay, what is the current withdrawn to be selected in the calculation of the cable length indicate above?

thanks a lot!

This relay will be OK. You just have to make sure the coil voltage will not drop bellow 176VAC according to specs.