Choose of communication processor. SIMATIC

Valera

There is a task-> connect the PC( office computer) as operator station. What kind of communication processors should me choose?
And, can I use this PC than have CPXXX as active terminal for MPI/DP net.=?

Thanks in advance.

Valera,
you allready know about Protool Pro (PC as operator station).

MPI: The onboard MPI port is not bad for a remote HMI connection. And you will need no other drivers than the internal Protool driver.
For a S7-300 the range is limited to 50 meters when no repeater is attached. With a repeater or when using S7-400 you can go to 200 meters @ 1.5M Baud. There must be a CP5611 in the PC.

Profibus: Internal Protool driver. Onboard DP on S7-400 or a CP342-5 for a S7-300. No repeater is required. There must be a CP5611 in the PC.

Ethernet: Softnet S7 Ethernet. CP443-1 for S7-400 or a CP343-1 for a S7-300. A regular Ethernet port in the PC will do.

The CP5611 is a communications processor.
The MPI/DP port on the CP5611 is just like an MPI/DP port on an S7-400.

If termination is required depends if the MPI/Profibus cable ends at a port or not. In a normal MPI/Profibus network the cable is looped from port to port. Only if the cable does not continue must the termination be turned on. So there will allways be two terminations in a MPI/Profibus network.

The CP5611 does not have to sit physically at the end of the MPI/Profibus network. It can also sit somewhere in the middle.

edit: The termination is not really "active". It is simply a resistor that is connected across the two signal wires in the MPI/Profibus cable.

Last edited:
Maybe I is stupid, but I hav't clear understanding this problem now.
Well, I know what is active terminator. It is simply chain of resistors that have supply 24VDC at both ends. This supply must be at both ends of MPI/Profi DP bus.
And I think that CP5611 can realize this function. But I don't sure in it.

Valera said:
It is simply chain of resistors that have supply 24VDC at both ends.
You must be thinking about the 6ES7 972-0DA00-0AA0 "Active RS485 bus terminating element".
In most cases you dont need this. The resistor that can be switched ON in the Profibus connector is sufficient for terminating the ends of the network.
I believe that the active terminator is meant for when you have a DP network (with ET200 f.ex.) and want to remove and insert DP nodes without affecting the network. Then you have the active terminator as the end of the chain with nothing connected to it.
I dont know why it needs 24V, as it is only a resistor. Maybe someone who knows would care to elaborate.

CORRECTION !

Sorry for picking up this thread again, but I have to correct my previous statement in case somebody reads it.

The thing is:
MPI and Profibus needs 5 VDC on the terminators.
Thats why it should be an active terminator, or you can not count on being able to shut down or remove the first/last node in a segment.
I have many times removed or shut down the last node in a segment without knowing that this is actually incorrect procedure. It may be possible to do it, and then again it might not.

[attachment]

It appears that this rule applies to ANY bus system based on RS485.

rs485_bus_termination.gif

Jesper,

Can I ask you out which book did you get that picture? I'm looking for more detailed explanation/course on profibus for the future.

Rudi

Actually it is from an online presentation. Its all singing and dancing, and quite excellent really.
Find it HERE , then use the menu tree in the left side of the screen to view the various chapters.