Add Wago IO module to a Modicon PLC

djité

Hi Plctalkers.

I am kind of new with the schneider electric interface on unity Pro. I have my PLC with 4 NOC cards.
2 for exchange with others PLC ( I guess I will use IO scanning)
2 connected to remotes IO wago.

My questions:
-for the communication PLC to PLC is it better to split the input and the output? (in IO scanning, add a line for the input and a line with the same IP for the output)

-should I, in my Communication Configuration add a network for each NOC card? one for the CPU, and 4 ethernet networks for the 4 NOC cards.

-How to setup the wago remote IO module? I have tried on the DTM browser but I am still unable to exchange data with it.(i have checked the address, and everything seems fine).

Thanks.

I would use io scanning to interface to the wago io
I can't see any real benefit in using multiple lines for io scanning except if you want to read and write at different rates or you want to control the read and write individually

One comment to add to Geoff's is that if the remote device does not support Modbus function code 23 (Read/Write) then I recommend breaking out the IOScanner lines.

IOscanner will use, depending on the entries in the config table:

Read - function code 3
Write - function code 16
Read/Write - function code 23

If the read/write is selected, and an error is returned, IOScanner tries then to break out the requests in separate read/writes, issuing a fc16 (write) then immediately an fc3 (read). This is where the trouble starts - I have not had good luck with this fallback behavior and usually end up with problems over time. I think it has to do with how the error is detected, but anyway, I have learned to split out the lines to separate reads and writes if the other device does not support fc23.

If the other device(s) is(are) a Modicon PLC, you are likely all set as the port502 server supports fc23 on all the products I have used. If it is a different brand, then check the documentation, or I just set up the read/write on one line and check in Wireshark, and then we know right away.

Some other general comments:

1. Many suggest, for PLC-PLC communications, to only execute 'reads'. This way, when debugging, the only data entering the controller from outside is through a read, which is documented in the configuration. If you do 'writes', then data can magically appear in memory and it can be much harder to troubleshoot. I know it's not really magic, but it sure feels that way sometimes when data is changing and I haven't figured out why yet...
2. The NOC modules support EtherNet/IP as well as Modbus with IOScanner/explicit messaging. Wago has support for both protocols, likely with different models, but possibly on a single device. So choice of protocol for this is somewhat dependent on the hardware you have. If it's Modbus, as Geoff says, IOScanner is the way to go. If EIP, then you are still likely all set.

In fact I am using ethernet IP for the wago module.
Does it mean that I have to create a network by NOC and then activate the IO scanning feature for each network ?

>>Does it mean that I have to create a network by NOC and then activate the IO scanning feature for each network ?

Not sure what you mean. Physically, you can have separate networks, or just one that all devices are connected to. If you mean logically in Unity Pro, then NOCs are configured differently than the CoPro or the NOEs. This is Quantum platform, right?

You would have one network for the CoPro, then add four DTMs for the four NOCs. This is in a different place than the CoPro network - you can view it with a menu item. Then inside each one, you would enable what you need. For the NOCs, you can configure either IOScanner, EtherNet/IP, or both at the same time, depending on how you logically lay out your system.

There's a utility called Wago Ethernet Settings which should let you set up anything you need for the coupler. You can, of course, use the Web interface.

Next try to connect to the coupler using ModScan, just to make sure the mechanics are correct. Once that's working you should be able to set the NOC channel to a network (ModbusUDP is preferable) .

Good luck

Yosi