CompactLogix L18ER and KepserverEx

phuz

I upgraded a Micrologix 1100 to a new CompactLogix L18. I've been using the KepserverEx v4.5 and it has been fine until now. If I use the OPC quick client, the data sometimes is there, other times it says unknown, but the quality is always bad, and it says "BAD VARTYPE". I have tried changing it to different processors and different methods, but cannot get good quality out of it.

I tried the KepserverEx 5 demo version, and this showed good quality. Any idea how I can get this to work properly with the version that is currently running?

So I thought of an issue with this older version. Maybe my firmware was too high. I changed the Logix firmware from 24 back to 20. Now all my data quality shows good, but every value is "0".

Phuz,

One thing you need to be mindful of when using an older version of software is that its development and support are not continued. If your application was running as is, with no additions or modifications then your older version of software should work just fine. However, from what you have written, you are making changes through upgrading hardware. This action opens the door to potential problems.

You have indicated downloading version 5 of KepserverEX for which you have indicated good results. My suggestion is rather than wrestle with version 4, which is no longer supported, you should upgrade.

As was mentioned previously, Kepware offers excellent support for transitioning from v4 to v5. Myself, as a distributor for Kepware can offer you additional support.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/kepserverex.htm

It sounds like you have the Allen Bradley OPC suite of drivers. If that is correct, I can put together a quote for you based on this information. If you are using additional drivers, please let me know.

Feel free to post your requirements in this thread, pm or email.

Phuz,

One thing you need to be mindful of when using an older version of software is that its development and support are not continued. If your application was running as is, with no additions or modifications then your older version of software should work just fine. However, from what you have written, you are making changes through upgrading hardware. This action opens the door to potential problems.

You have indicated downloading version 5 of KepserverEX for which you have indicated good results. My suggestion is rather than wrestle with version 4, which is no longer supported, you should upgrade.

As was mentioned previously, Kepware offers excellent support for transitioning from v4 to v5. Myself, as a distributor for Kepware can offer you additional support.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/kepserverex.htm

It sounds like you have the Allen Bradley OPC suite of drivers. If that is correct, I can put together a quote for you based on this information. If you are using additional drivers, please let me know.

Feel free to post your requirements in this thread, pm or email.

Unfortunately, the cost of $900 for the AB suite with KepserverEx was not figured into this budget, and is therefore not an option at this time.

That is unfortunate because Kepware will be raising their prices in January.

How much time are you currently spending on this problem?

I would say that your time was likely not factored into the budget either, yet it is a cost. The more time you spend, the more it is costing your employer / client. Or if you provided a fixed cost for your service, the more it is costing you.

Going to the decision maker and explaining to them that they have an older version of software that is no longer supported with updates or feature enhancement may convince them to go with the newer software. Stating that the problems you are experiencing are a result of adding new hardware that may not be supported by the version of KepserverEX that they have installed should be addressed.

As an integrator, I am the one who eats the cost at this point.

I found a solution by downgrading to v20 in the controller and then changing from Physical non-blocking to Symbolic. For now, all is well and happy, but certainly won't be upgrading any time soon.