AI repeated as an AO (RSLogix)

Patrick_P

I am trying to us a analogue input signal, via a Micrologix1400 which is repeated as an analogue output signal that can be used by another Micrologix 1400 PLC as an analogue input.

My current configuration utilises the SCP (Scaled with Parameters) block whereby:

Input = analogue input address,
Scaling carried out accordingly,
Output = analogue output address

Although within the software the output value is the same as the input valve i.e. input and output = 36% (3.6V). The actual output reading measured at a constant of 0.5V and does not change.

Is my configuration correct or would I need to use another block?

Your help is much appreciated.

In general analog outputs should use the same data range as the input. You should be able to move the input data directly to the output address without scaling.

Tom,

Thanks for your response.

I will replace the SCP block with the MOV block and configure with the appropriate source and destination to see if this resolves the issue.

It is often possible, and common, and worth a try, to loop the analog signal into both PLC inputs in series.

Obviously it is going to depend on the capabilities of the driving transducer, but most support more than one receiver.

In general, a 4-20mA input is just a low value resistance that the input module measures the voltage drop across, the driving transmitter can usually drive more than one receiver. Don't do this as a parallel connection - must be in series.

Can I ask why? As the posts above have said, this will work, but to me looking in from the outside, the first thing that comes to mind is "surely there's a better way to do this!". If you can provide some context and reasoning for what you're trying to achieve in the bigger picture, you may get some other ideas on how it could be done :)

Thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately this is something which has been stipulated by the client and despite best efforts to guide them away from this i.e. loop splitter external to the PLC the have requested this as the preferred option.

I modified the configuration for an MOV block instead of the SCP block, and there was no change to the output signal.

If you are moving your AI value directly into your AO and not seeing any change then more than likely your AO module or at least the channel you are using is not configured properly.

What AO expansion module are you using?

And if possible can you post your program? (zip it first before posting)
Someone will be able to tell you right off what your problem is if you can.

EDIT:
After re-reading I see that you are using voltage not current (another poster mentioned 4-20) so you may be using the embedded AI and AO depending on your 1400 model.
Posting program will still get you quickest and most precise answer though.
BCS

Last edited:
Why not send the signal via comms from one ML to the other?
Saves an AO on one & AI on the other.

Sometimes clients specify what they are familiar with, rather than understanding the capabilities & best solution for the task.